Saturday, October 18, 2008

Oh No you Di-ent!!

* Warning, content of this post is not suitable for children. Because thanks to the world we're living in today, apparently NOTHING is anymore.

And when you say it you have to raise your hand in a frontal palm waving motion, and end it with a snap of your finger...make sure your face is a mixture of half twisted anger while rolling your eyes / half shock.
Repeat after me:

"Oh Nooo, you Di-Ent!"

S
o yeah folks, I'm pretty peeved right now. So peeved I'm going to part company with usual approval from my mother and say I'm pissed. Really, really pissed. And nothing offers a more enjoyable blog-read than someone on a completely personal rant...it's like a never ending sentence that splinters into a million different tangents, leaving you feeling somewhat confused and a little bored, wondering, where did all of this come from? Well, I'll tell you where it came from:

It all started late Wednesday evening, after the kiddles were tucked soundly into bed. Bored, and awaiting the return of my hubby, I began channel surfing the 8pm television events. As I perused the titles, I was flabbergasted to see the current MTV show "Sex with Mom and Dad" on the title page.

wHaT tHe fLiPpitY fLiP fLaPping fLooT?

Well, had to check it out. Basically, the premise of the show goes something like this: Child is a total whore and tells overindulgent and immature parent where/when/how they commit multiple acts of self destructive and dangerous sex. Parent and child go to a therapist who helps to teach the child that sex requires "protection"...and everyone pats themselves on the back.

The next show line-up was titled "Man and Wife", ( I have to admit total shock and hope/confusion as I thought MTV might actually be airing a show even associated with the word marriage) another explicitly provocative show where an excessively obese couple lie in a bed on a stage and dole out sexual advice to a large audience.


Up next: The icing on the cake: A little rap/hip-hop video they played in between segments, where a large group of young African American CHILDREN are all flipping off the camera, middle fingers high in the sky....CHILDREN.


Moral of the MTV oh-so-progressive story (I believe their mantra is "think"):
Obey your every animalistic whim, wear a condom, and go Fbleep yourself (children included).

"Oh No, you Di-ent."

Having we lost our freaking minds? I'm sorry, but teenagers behaving like humping monkeys with a TOTAL lack of supervision from parents who would rather seem cool than protect their children is completely unacceptable, and just teaching them "protection" doesn't cut it. (ps, protection is an oxymoron in this circumstance : go ahead sweet daughter, disregard your basic genetic wiring that predisposes you to seek emotional connection and bonding and try to fill the void with baseless sex with males that have no intention what-so-ever of developing a lasting relationship with you - because you're just not worth it to them. It will make you a "stronger" woman. Just look at me, your mother...I've done it the same way and look how strong we are. We live in a shabby apartment in the ghetto and you've grown up without a father. I am even missing teeth. But, here is a condom to "protect" yourself, because I'm your mother and I love and want what is best for you.)

And I'm all for self-expression and an open discussion attitude towards the topic of sex (I think I'm the only person I know who actually blogs about it...hopefully that doesn't make me weird.) But, a gargantuan man in his heart-colored boxers and business socks standing on stage poking at his wifes improporptionally gargantuan breasts spilling out of her nightgown gives off an air of...oh....what's the word....hmmmm.....Fat, disgusting, inappropriateness.

And last but not least, the icing on the cake: Children, with their middle fingers in the air. Do these babies even know what that means? Of course they do! They have MTV.

The fact that the American public even allows for this sort of programming is a disgrace. Why don't we just drive our kids to a cliff and shove them off...forget warning them that just because their friends might be doing it doesn't mean they should. We'll even provide you the vehicle to make the dive more speedy and fun.

Isn't there some sort of "Mothers against complete television bullS*h*t masked as tolerance and progression" club I can join? For pete's sake, where have all the mothers gone? Cuz I'm ready to start picketing the streets. Yeah, that's right...with my long french braids and pioneer dress to boot.

"Oh No, you Di-ent."

T
he next night, Tyler and I cozied up to watch our favorite Thursday night line up. The office, a treasure. And SNL thursday night was an additional treat. We cozied up in bed and before I knew it, I was ready to throw my Hot Tamales at the screen.

I love SNL, especially during the political season. If I'm up to speed on the current events, I love good political humor, even if I don't necessarily agree. Jon Stewart is hilarious and a favorite of mine, but good gracious, I don't agree with much of what he says. I preface by saying this so the reader can be aware that the reason I starting screaming at the television screen had nothing to do with party lines or being liberal vs conservative. I can laugh at the Sarah Palin skits as heartily as someone like Rosie O'Donnell would. But this Thursday's skits weren't funny. Ridiculously biased...and not funny.

This week's attempt at a laugh crossed the lines. Not only is the make fun of John McCain versus make fun of Barack Obama ratio something like 10:1, but there are some places American citizens shouldn't go.
Some things should be off limits, some things don't merit a laugh.(9/11 would be a good example, i.e you're never going to see a skit of people jumping out of buildings to promote humor.)
I'm tired of seeing them poke fun at John McCain's age and gestures to the point of depicting him as a decrepit old lunatic. I don't care your political standings, NO Americans should poke fun and laugh at physical attributes that were caused from being a PRISONER OF WAR for our country.
Is this how we treat our veterans? Is this how we even treat our elders? Of course it is, this is America: where youthful looks trump wisdom and age, where the new is always better than the worn and torn.
There is something to be said for the way the man "hobbles" around the town hall stages, or how he can't raise his arms properly because of the torture he suffered....and it doesn't deserve laughter. Make fun of his policies, make fun of his smile, make fun his running mate...but don't you dare make fun of the fact that he might be an older, more experienced WAR VETERAN! One that fought and was tortured for his country! Nobody, regardless of party lines, can dispute that.

Poor form SNL. And you deserved the hot tamales thrown at your face.

No wonder this generation has just catapulted the biggest financial national/global crisis of our time. We are credit mongering, disrespectful, innappropriate, immoral, spoiled rotten citizens that allow our children to use their middle fingers. Citizens who make fun of our elders/veterans and former prisoners of war. Big flipping surprise. My great grandpa would be ashamed. And so would yours.

And so, I conclude my rant. I promise I'll be more pleasant and hopeful in my next post, so please, don't ban my blog forever. I just wish more people would freak out at their televisions, throw tamales at SNL, and give their teenager a good hearty spanking when they hear of their sexual behavior. That's what will be occurring at the Haack household on any given Wed/Thur night. But at least, throw that front palm in the air with a snap and exclaim:

"Oh No, you Di-ent."



















4 comments:

Daron and Jamee said...

I was also disappointed when the humor came in on the office (about Maridath(sp?) having sex with with whoever to get discounts.) Just the fact that it can be mentioned in such a light manner needs to have us putting a check in our lives. "Wait, did I just excuse that remark on that show and let it slide by like it didn't happen?"

We don't have cable. I used to think that cable was good because there are going to be those times when you just want to sit and watch T.V so with cable there is always SOMETHING good to watch (compared with no cable and you sit and flip through 5 channels of crap over and over again until you realize that you have just wasted 2 hours flipping). But, being without cable saves us a few bucks, and since I know nothing is on T.V, it doesn't even come on. We watch some shows that come on the internet like once a week and that is it. I am loving it! And it has made me a better blogger. Why watch T.V when you could write in your online journal, and read everyone elses?

I still need to figure out how to NOT waste time.

Jamee

Rae's Ranting MOM said...

Phschizzle your blogschizzle...sorry my ebonics aren't quite up to speed now that we have been T.V. FREE for almost one year. I just went to a Reed High School football game (pre rae blog)and left wondering what has happened to our country. The punks/gangstas out number the decent kids. I live an insulated life. The youth that I am around are for the most part from our church. They are decent, polite, upstanding youth. I have taught them and been a part of their youth activities and they give me hope for the future...but then I attend a function (like the Reed game or the Obama rally in Reno)- Everywhere are examples of the MTV generation. The language was appalling (not just the profanity, but the inability to speak in complete coherent sentences....FYI Washoe County spends $9000 per pupil per year to educate a student! Little Flower spends $3000and their 4th graders score the highest in the State on the standardized written test. Money is not the indicator of intelligence...quality of curriculum and standards of excellence are! Just read my favorite book on education "Marva Collins - My Way" (Black woman educator in Chicago inner city schools with her own school called "Westside Prepatory Academy". She is the reason I put my kids in private school years ago).
I'm on a rant...it is genetic Rachel.
T.V. and the news media are shaping the political and moral landscape of our country. We need to take control. How? Our circle of influence...our homes, our schools, our communities. Sometimes the problem seems undaunting and we want to give up...but we must never give up. Remember our favorite family poem? How Did You Die? (Edmund V. Cooke)-
Did you tackle that trouble that came your way with a resolute heart and cheerful?
Or hide your face from the light of day with a craven soul and fearful?
Oh, a trouble's a ton, or a trouble's an ounce, or a trouble is what you make it.
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts, but only how did you take it?
You are beaten to earth? Well, well, what's that? Come up with a smiling face.
It's nothing against you to fall down flat, but to lie there - that's disgrace.
The harder you're thrown, why the higher you bounce; Be proud of your blackened eye!
It isn't the fact that you're licked that counts; It's how did you fight and why?
And though you be done to death, what then? If you battled the best you could;
If you played your part in the world of men, Why, the Critic will call it good.
Death comes with a crawl, or comes with a pounce, And whether he's slow or spry,
It isn't the fact that you're dead that counts, But only how did you die?
We have lots of battles to fight to preserve some goodness for all the little Lilys and Londons and Pattons to come...So mothers unite...The hand that rocks the cradle rules nations!

Rachel's ranting MOM....

Rae's Corner said...

LOL.

Ah, mother. What would I do without a blog where you and I can go back and forth agreeing with each other? I suppose I'd have to rant with you on a cell phone...oops. Already do. Or in person. Oops, already do. Or over the home phone...oops, already do.

How is it that some people have so much to say? Lol.


rae

Joan said...

Teary eyed and proud of women like you, Rae and the mother that helped create you. WE NEED MORE WOMEN LIKE US THREE! :)
Our family does not have cable either...and as much as Tyler may hate me for saying this (b/c I'm sure the biggest reason you have cable is for the football games and other sports) I think that is one of the best ways to slap the media in the face is to: NOT allow it in your home! The TV is filled with garbage with maybe one or two channels that are decent: BYU TV and The Discovery Channel. I don't even like Disney or Nick-whatever.
The Internet is another way the media creeps into our homes. I am super careful about what I watch or allow to be watched/read...and I know as my kids get older I am going to need to keep a close eye on the computer.
I am a right-winged freak but I don't care. Call me what you want. I am going to do everything in my power to protect my family even if that means being an extremist.
We are given a sacred stewardship over our families and we need to do EVERYTHING in our power to protect them.

ps--I DO NOT think you are bad or stupid for having cable...I am just ranting :)