Monday, November 24, 2008

Grateful.


I'm convinced I am literally the World's best care-giver. If it sounds like I'm tooting my own horn...toot toot. I am.

I am also convinced of another thing: the world's best care-giver is still No replacement for a Mother.

Although I provide perfectly steamed carrots, zucchini, onion, tomatoes, garlic, and lean ground beef over a bed of basil polenta for lunch (nutritious indeed, with a glass of organic whole milk)...

Although I sing and dance like a freak to "Do as I'm Doing"...

Although I kiss boo boos and hug...

Although we color, and make play-dough...

Only a mother can devour you whole. Only a mother will look at you with an overfilling well of emotion at the perfection of your hazel/blueish eyes and crinkly smile. Only a mother knows how to properly nibble your toes and cheeks. Only a mother feels the insatiable, unquenchable desire to adore and nuzzle on you all. day. long. Only to begin the next day with excitement, ready to do it all over again. All. day. long.

I am the best caregiver. But you, my dear, miss your mother.

And in some strange way, we need each other. I needed you to be able to stay home with my girls. Your mom needed me in order to go out and provide for you. I won't forget the privilege of being second in line, but can't help but feel sad and wishful that the world didn't work this way.

2 comments:

Joan said...

The world just doesn't see things the way we do, Rae. Sad but true.
I am smiling right now b/c I met this girl at the mall and she TOTALLY REMINDED ME OF YOU! It made me miss you terribly! She was beautiful and talkative and just delightful to be with. I really liked her and I REALLY like you too :)
I miss you: you and your loud voice, you and your big booty (SO HOT, Rae...you know it!), you and your zest for life and learning, you and your passionate rants!

Rae's Corner said...

Oh my dear, I have to say - the booty is GONE! It is nothing but a saggy jollopy remnant of what once rivaled Beyonce shaking it for the American Music awards (seriously...the girl is a big booty, big thighed GODDESS OF SEDUCTION). I can no longer grace center stage on a dance floor during "Baby Got Back". You would think a smaller pants size would make me happier - but hot diggity, what is my husband going to slap ? I gotta get me some more...