Sunday, January 11, 2009

The BEST gift

Dear Birthday girl Lily,

It may seem strange that it was I who was the one to receive the best gift for your birthday: You!
But that's not all!!!...I received one other very special thing....

Amy (Mommy's good friend) sent this precious email to me the other day, and I hope you will someday enjoy the account as much as I did:

Rae,

Hi!! Okay so I was going through my journal which I started keeping a couple of years ago and I found this:


Wednesday, January 11th, 2006
8:42 p.m.

Today Rachel gave birth to Lily Tyler at 4:51 p.m. She is 7 pounds, 1 ounce and looks like her dad. I haven't seen her yet but Shinae said she is beautiful and very alert. Rachel had a pretty hard labor. She was induced last night at 7:00 and had small contractions all night. This morning she had hard contractions before she could get an epidural for about an hour and after the drugs she felt better until she had to start pushing at about 4:00. This is the first birth that I have really thought about. No one that I know has given birth since I was little and so thinking about it as an adult is just weird. It is crazy to me that last night she wasn't here and now all of a sudden she is and this is the first day of the rest of her life. Hearing what Rae had to go through makes me not want to give birth. Shinae said she was crying and almost lost her mind at one point and there was blood on the floor etc. etc. I wonder if I will be able to do it. Shinae said she was so proud of Rae and how she thought she looked so strong and powerful and I don't think I'm like that. I would say dad get me out of this and I would probably feel claustrophobic.


Thursday, January 12th, 2006
10:46 p.m.

I went to visit Rae in the hospital today and held Lily in my arms. She is the tiniest thing I have ever seen. Tiny and fragile. Rae looked good but obviously tired. She breast fed and it was so weird. It just seemed so primitive and natural. She's been through so much but it's all worth it looking at little Lily.





Wow...you were the beginning of a new universe for me. A bundle of joy and surprises and endless possibilities. I get teary-eyed just thinking of the post-birthday celebratory outing you'll spend alone tomorrow with Gamma - I'll miss you even then, and it reminds me that my years with you constantly by my side are so very numbered. I'm excited about your future, but can't help mourning a little bit of my loss as you get older and older. You are a darling. My darling.







Happy Birthday, my big three year-old Missy.


Love,

Mommy

P.s...thank you, Amy. :)

6 comments:

Amy said...

OMG I'm famous!! Good thing I didn't know you were posting it or I would have done some editing...I'm so glad I got to visit you in the hospital and be a part of it in some way and I am so glad to get to know your girls better through your blog and hopefully the more frequent visits in the future. By the time we all have kids yours will probably be the baby sitters!!

Lily is precious as is London.
HAPPY BDAY Lil Lily!!

Daron and Jamee said...

That was one of the best birthday posts EVER!
How sweet that one of you friends was so touched by the birth of Lily Lou. I love it.

Jamee

Joan said...

You know you've reached full fledged boob-dom when you find yourself crying over a little birthday post. "You are a darling. My darling" That is what got me.
Happy Birthday Miss Lily pants.
Ps: I LOVE that she has her daddy's name for a middle name.

Jacob Hansen said...

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH MAN I MISS HER!!! Tell her happy birthday for me and give her a kiss. I love my Lily!

Sarah Hansen said...

Oh that makes Auntie Sarah miss Lily Lula so so much. And even makes her cry...Amy that was awesome for a second I thought maybe I had written that?! haha And Rae as for the blog boycott think again I get on everyday to get an update on you guys;( Please no. I know you never thought this day would arrive but I love it!

auntie mal<3 said...

Tyler a little word from the wise, lily is growing up quick so get the gun ready(well first you need to get one.....:) Cause she is going to be a nock-out! I know this is a tad late but I havent been on who needs the computer when I have my ipod....:) So I love my lily lu so much and I am so glad she is here and I am so glad that i am her auntie mal<3 luv ya all!