Sunday, February 1, 2009

Review Time

Alright, I've finished them. It took two library renewals and a whole lotta offspring negligence. The consequences of which include but are not limited to: Lily shaving off half of her eyebrow and eating 3/4 of a bottle of children's Flintstones vitamins.
Dangerous? Yes. Deadly? No (as verified through a panic-stricken phone call to Gigi the nurse after finding empty bottle hidden behind television). Diarrhea inducing? Yes. Childproof cap? Yes. Stored on the highest shelf in the kitchen?

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Did that stop Lily? No.
What kind of mother allows this?
Enough with your questions! This is a book review.



The Question of God: A fascinating read. Highly recommend it to all seeker types. I am a thoroughly satisfied LDS woman, and yet the yearning to continually seek and seek urges me on. An LDS article of faith (statement of belief) says, "If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things." A nice push towards the philosophy that nobody (not even Mormons) has a current monopoly on all great ideas...so go get em.
So many questions, so many ideas. So many truths and falsities to sift and sort through your mind ends up spinning. It's no wonder many just choose to ignore and wander about unsure of anything. But to the ones like me, the ones who too frequently lie awake at late hours of the night pondering what on are earth they are doing here and why?, and what is the point of a toenail?, books like this are a delight. CS Lewis was already a favorite of mine, and Freud - he makes me feel like a pervert. And yet I completely agree with the author, I would do his work a great disservice if I didn't thank him sincerely for giving birth to the meaning of the phrase: "You are so anal."

Bottom line: If you are a non-believer, of the materialist worldview, then you'd best start figuring out a way to at least hypnotize yourself into believing something higher, because while Freud believed he had discovered the truth of ultimate nothingness, he certainly paid the price of such beliefs that manifested in misery, depression, and fearing death more than I fear the fact that I might have once been subconsciously attracted to my father.





Born To Rule: LOVED. THIS. BOOK. Galardi sometimes uses entirely too many names and nicknames throughout the book - it takes you a while to sort out which Queen she is speaking of - but, once you dive into the book it takes on more twists and turns than a fictional read. This is the story of the five granddaughters of Queen Victoria, and their tragic and beautiful lives are mingled with some of the most famous characters and events of all time (World War I, Lenin, Stalin, Mussolini, Wilhelm II, Bolsheviks, Rasputin, etc. etc). Not only are you given a bite of the 19th century Russia, Romania, Spain, England, and Norway...you get intimately connected to each of the women's personal stories. Love. Death. Sickness. War. Assassinations. Betrayal. Religion. Family. Royalty.

I. EVEN. CRIED.

Bottom line: I've said it once, and I'll say it again: Real life is more fascinating than fiction. And though you may not cry over a history book like me, you'll feel really cool when the subject of 19th century Eastern Europe arises (uh, never), and you can name at least one person who existed during that time (nevermind that you might not be able to remember the context, the country, or anything else for that matter...the name alone will impress enough).

Back To the Library. It's time for another good read.

4 comments:

Alexis said...

O.K. so no credit for your Mom giving you the C.S.Lewis/Freud book:> Which I bought 11 copies of and gave for Christmas gifts!
I can't wait to check out the Queen Victoria Granddaughters Book,
but of course I've been "sucked" into the Twilight series and am now finishing the last book before I can move on. I'm team Jacob!(At least for now...with the last half of Breaking Dawn to go) - for all you Team Edward fans; I like things hot not cold;)
I'm usually a non-fiction reader - but I've tired of the heavy duty serious stuff and decided to "runaway" to the fictitious world. It's been a nice change.
The demise of the
economy & the election fallout are our constant companions; I've tired of the negativity of talk radio - so I will choose to remember the words of dear Scarlett O'Hara..."fiddle dee", "tomorrow is always another day" and I'll forget my worries in a good book.
MOM
P.S. Everyone should list their favorite childrens book/books.
1. Giving Tree
2. Heckedy Peg
3. Laura Ingalls Wilder series (particularly chapter on Christmas in Little House on the Prairie...Rachel started this tradition of reading this selection out loud to all of us when she was a teenager to give us a reality check about our abundant lives!)
4. Box Car Children series
*This list could go on and on...
Fancy Nancy
Amelia Bedelia, etc
That's all, I promise....peace out!

The Orchard Life said...

Rae,

Thank you for suggesting The Question of God! Alexis, thank you for buy the book for Rae! :) I haven't finished it yet, but I'm really enjoying it as well. The book has further convinced me that Freud was truly a sad man and that C.S. Lewis is one of my favorite authors. He makes so many good points that I could go on for days with my favorite passages from the book. Here's one from the beginning though:

"Lewis wrote that in faith, 'as in war and everything else, comfort is the thing you cannot get by looking for it. If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end: If you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth - only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin with and, in the end, despair.'"

I will continue to seek and learn and am thankful for books like this that provide food for thought. The book has also made me curious about a book that influenced Lewis... Everlasting man by G.K. Chesterton. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

On another VERY important note.... Alexis, I cannot believe you a team Jacob fan! Just keep reading, I am confident that you will come to your senses. ;) Those books took over a good month of my life.

xo
Laina

Rae's Corner said...

Laina-

Oh my gosh too funny...I already have tried tracking down The Everlasting Man at the library, and still have yet to get it. I need to just buy it online probably...let me know if you find it.

I'm so glad you liked the book! (and yes, thanks Ma!)

CS Lewis, to me, is my "ah ha" man. I love all of his thoughts, and he states some of the most complex issues in the most easy to read format.
I have ALL of his works and border on obsessed.

Let me know your thoughts as you read more...I'd love to discuss!

rae

Joan said...

I am all over the Freud/Lewis book.
And I have to say that it makes me SO happy that Alexis got sucked in to the Twilight saga! ha! I love it! SUCH bubble gum for the brain...but it was SO much fun to read.