Thursday, March 12, 2009

Lullabies

Summer harvest '08 - Uncle Danny & Auntie Ali's garden

Whenever I hear
The song of a bird
Or look at the blue, blue sky
Whenever I feel
the rain on my face
Or the wind as it rushes by

Whenever I touch a velvet rose
Or walk by a lilac tree
I'm glad that I live in this beautiful world
Heavenly Father created for me

He gave me my eyes,
that I might see
The colors of butterfly wings
He gave me my ears, that I might hear
The magical sounds of things

He gave me my life, my mind, my heart
I thank him reverently
For all these creations of which I'm a part
Yes, I know Heavenly Father loves me

LDS Children's Hymn/ Lily's favorite lullaby


Singing to my children before bed has been an unexpected favorite part of being a mother. I've always loved the idea of the typical Gerber baby and Johnson &Johnson lotion commercials of mothers singing sweetly to their children, but am also realistically aware that my singing voice is comparable to a cat's screeching while in heat. It's that bad.

What came as a pleasant surprise that had escaped my self-demeaning logic was the actuality that my children would come into this world only knowing one voice: mine! And as long as I'm careful to always fast forward through any Disney singing episodes and dispose of all Mariah Carey cds throughout the house I might, just might, have a small window of opportunity to allow my "ignorance is bliss" theory to permeate the nursery during bedtime.

And so I sing, and have sung, for a long time. Quietly in the bedroom, rocking my sweet babies, wrapped up in the gratitude and awe that the peaceful pre-bedtime minutes provide. Tonight I held London. My fat, sweet, cuddly London. With her four fresh teeth and mullet hair. She held tightly onto her favorite pink blankee and I stared and marveled at her perfection.

It is a magical time of the day for us, if we can squeeze it in. And a perfect moment when I am reminded that someone really loves me too.







5 comments:

Daniel said...

Who loves you too?!!! Tyler ought to kick his a$$!

Rae's Corner said...

I'm praying for you Zorba.

Alexis said...

I love you too - like you love our precious London and Lily bug.
What great memories you brought to mind. I sang Daniel's favorite "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" to London the other day when she was laying on my bed. It just came back naturally as the thing to do - like I had done so many times when you all were little. You and the others inherited Daniel's favorite song by default.
MOM

Alexis said...

I rushed home to see your lastest blog because while I was on the cell phone in Costco with Sarah from Ireland, she started to scream while talking to me because on her computer she saw that you had posted a blog and picture of Lily lu...Sarah misses them so much so it is a good thing you keep her connected to her two favorite little girls:)
We now have a web cam because Sarah insisted we get one so we could meet the girls at BYU London but most importantly so she could see Lily and London (and of course Georgia!)
MOM

auntie mal said...

aww there sooo cute rae u have no idea! u no how u are a stalker to nie nies well i bet there are tons of stlakers on yours! ummmm! Danny it is better to say @$$ hahahah i make myself laugh!