Thursday, June 11, 2009

L&L, Inc.

Tyler came in from work yesterday as I was busy scrubbing the remaining traces
of an entire tube of squeezed-out foundation all over Lily and London's bodies. Lily had somehow smuggled the makeup into the car and proceeded to rub the cream all over herself, the car seats, and London. Oh the joy.

A little bit later Tyler sat down next to me to assist in dressing the girls and said,
"You know, I was actually thinking about this today....you could be the CEO of any company. I'm sure of it. I think you're so intelligent."

He paused for a second, trapped in that thought...oh boy, I think he really believed it.

"But you're here, with our girls, and that is one of the best things about you."

The sincerity of his comment struck me. He wasn't just saying this to alleviate the pains of my sticky day, or to win points that would hopefully transfer to his scorecard in the bedroom when the kids when to bed. He really meant it.

"Wow. I think that was just about the sweetest thing you've ever said to me."

And it really is. Because there are those moments as a mother that I've fantasized about the pencil skirt and stilettos. The potential. The recognition. The ideas.
Every wife adores compliments on looking pretty or keeping a nice home, but compliment my mind and my capabilities....now that just feels amazing.

I don't have to prove anything. He knows.

Regardless of what I will do in the future...for now...
I am the proud CEO of Lily and London, Inc.

So Tyler dear, while you dine at The Modern with your boss in the upcoming days:

( yes... THE MODERN,New York City,as in one of the finest restaurants in the world. Sheesh, who knew concrete companies could have such taste),

I'll be dining on this:




I think we can both agree who has the better job here.



4 comments:

Daron and Jamee said...

What a great quiet feeling deep in my soul-that we choose this life.

I had a similar experience yesterday. There must be something in the air in our neighborhood. Sheesh.

Jamee

Amy said...

what a good guy! I'm proud to be his cousin!

love your hair by the way!

xoxo

Amy

Casey and Brittny said...

(Note: this comment is entirely unrelated to your post or blog at large, both of which I love and read obsessively - you are, after all, my blogging idol!)

Rachel! My dad told me today that your husband works for Jensen - what a small world! I just wanted to say hi and wish you and your gorgeous family well. If Tyler ever has to travel to Casa Grande on business, you should go, too, and we'll have lunch!

auntie mal said...

ty....if u want sucess with ur wife call her beautiful not hot or sexy even tho she mite feel she is competeing with ginger and trixy and cocoa or watever! sooo ya I LOVE MY GIRLIES!!