Wednesday, July 8, 2009

As crazy as it seems.

This is about the third time that Lily has officially gone to play alone at another friend's house. I'm still not sure how I feel about this. Even though my children were the ultimate titans of terror today at the grocery store, London is now asleep, the house quiet and

I miss her.

I remember the first invite she received a few months ago....I turned it down. Not because of the lovely people inviting her, not because I wasn't sure she'd behave (I never am, so that couldn't possibly be what stopped me). It was because I wasn't ready. When casually asked, "Would Lily like to come to our house today?" I panicked like an overprotective bear and followed up the question with a brief excuse and promptly called my mother.

"Mom,...(suspenseful silence leading up to earth-shattering announcement)... Lily was invited to play at a friends' house today."

"Oh, how nice."

"No, no it is not nice. She is growing up. My little girl is growing up and I'm not sure I can handle it. She's not ready...I'm not ready. Nobody. is. ready. Before I know it she'll be in kindergarten, off to college. I haven't prepared her (myself) enough!!"

After the second invitation came a while later, I put on a brave face and loaded her into their vehicle that afternoon:

"Lu, have fun and ask to call Mommy if you need to come home. Remember who you are, don't ever talk to strangers, wash your hands after you go potty, beware of the huge difference between simple interest and compound, keep your credit card in a place where you won't be tempted to use it, remember that boys will say things they don't really feel to get you to do things you shouldn't be doing, read lots of books, say please and thank you, too much texting will make you stupid, don't give up on things just because they seem hard, remember that Dad and I will always love you, you will not be able to avoid the consequences in life for poor decisions, ....

" Momm! I dus gotta gooooo."

"Oh.... right, ok. Have fun on the slip and slide."




I'll get better at this.

6 comments:

Jacob Hansen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jacob Hansen said...

so just the other day I was talking to ian about how scared I am of lily growing up. WHAT THE HECK!!!! Seriously I saw a picture of her the other day and she is a little girl now....When did that happen? she was just a baby yesterday.....we also decided you have to have like 20 kids because the ones you have turn out so good! I am sure Tyler will be ok with it.

Daron and Jamee said...

First play dates are hard.

But it get worse.

Now Olivia is invited to lots of play dates and Carter wants to go so bad. So then there is the whole "But I want to go too mom!"
Carter im sorry , you weren't invited."

Than I end up doing something fun with the boys to make up for left out feelings. Than play dates have become not so much a brake for me.

Oh well.

Life is fun.

Jamee

Sorry for such a long silly comment.

Joan said...

Just flipped through the last few posts...your girls are so perfect, Rae. I am sincerely sad that we don't live closer or at least have the means to visit more frequently (if at all).
You look great, btw. Super trim in your navy scoop neck shirt and white linen skirt. You classy lady :)
I miss you.

jenniferoharra said...

Oh my gosh Rachel I'm like crying reading this! I know I'll be the same way! Great Post!

Amy said...

haha. love it.