Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Confessions



A new artist has recently cropped up in the family:





I'm going to learn to treasure the aesthetic destruction that is the result of having children....I'm going to learn to treasure the aesthetic destruction that is the result of having children....I'm going to learn to treasure the aesthetic destruction that is the result of having children....

(is that a booger I'm seeing on the wall?)


I watched an Oprah a few months back that was all about "Confessions of Everyday Moms". During the episode, various mothers dished on their secret revelations of the absurd things they'd been known to do as mothers. They included things like feeding their kids nothing but Cheerios all day, using socks to wipe dirty noses, etc.
Not that big of a deal, but still humorous.
The details are a bit fuzzy, but I remember after a few candid confessions, out of nowhere came this unfortunate mother who spilled about her experience leaving her kid in the same diaper for like 4 days. You could see it in everyone's eyes, including Oprah's, as they tried to force a little laugh. But in their heads (as well as my own), we know we were all thinking, "Wow, that one really isn't funny. More along the lines of serious neglect."

I'd like to draw a quick parallel to our living situation today. I could plaster pictures of our house and say, "Oh how funny! Look where London emptied our electronic pencil sharpener all over the bed! Look at the poopy diaper hidden under the couch, Lily and London had rice crispy treats for breakfast! Check out my face!"
But if I actually posted the evidence. I don't think you'd laugh.

So I'll leave it at the pictures above as I'll admit right now that London's face and that wall behind her are about the two cleanest things in our home at this minute.

I'm going to be remedying the situation for the rest of the afternoon, so don't worry, and please...laugh about it.











3 comments:

Ian said...

yep, i zoomed in on the picture and that was definitely a booger. Gross

Sarah Hansen said...

Ian..you would. I LOVE this...so well described Rachel. The "Oprah" moment, we have all experienced that... Just the other day at a football game I ran into a boy from high school. He had a slimy booger on his sweatshirt so I took it upon myself to feel really awkward and embarrassed fumbling over my words and not giving him eye contact. I was so embarrassed! Why was I feeling this way? I DIDn'T HAVE THE BOOGER ON MY SWEATSHIRT HE DID?!

bkoplin said...

A booger is the perfect London signature. We wouldn't know it was hers unless we had viable evidence...she's a smart girl.
Have I told you lately how much I admire and adore the honesty that oozes from your posts?