Monday, January 18, 2010

Part 2: The Big Day



Every bridesmaid has her responsibilities. For my own wedding, my bridesmaids' jobs included planning details, wedding gown details, talking me out of the those hideous fuchsia dresses lined in toule in Nordstroms, supporting my rather naive/determined/correct decision to get married at such a young age, insisting that I looked beautiful as I stood screaming and crying in my veil (naked) hours before the ceremony because I couldn't get my hair to style properly, and lighting candles and sprinkling rose petals into the jacuzzi tub of our honeymoon cottage of love on the lake (because there is something sick and twisted about your mother doing it, and if a bridesmaid isn't going to do it, who will?).
Mine learned quickly enough that simply attending a rehearsal dinner, muttering a tearful toast, and purposefully looking uglier than the bride were only going to be the tip of the iceberg of duties to earn a coveted spot in the nuptial process.

Yes, the job of a bridesmaid. Never appreciated enough.

I was fully prepared for payback. It was my time to return what I had so gratefully received. And yet, the day came...and there she was: calm and collected Shinae. Curse her!

It was so, well, easy.


It was a simply beautiful affair. The event was small, intimate, with plenty of favorite details laced in. Nae was the epitome of the gorgeous bride (wowsa! stunning!) - and even better - she was nice! No screaming, no orders, no breakdowns. Choose your own black dress, come up for a fun weekend at the cabin, relax...and enjoy the wedding. I did just that. Sigh, it was a lovely evening.

My duties were listed as follows:

1. Table centerpiece design (No florist...just Shinae, me, 4 buckets worth of wholesale roses for about $200, winter branches, and plenty of family to help).
Here's what we came up with:





Alternating tables of red (roses) and white (branches), with plenty of floating tealight candles at separate levels in various vases (all dollar tree finds!) It was BEAUTIFUL, if I do say so myself.



Sweetheart table:





2. Hair (which Sarah so kindly came up early to help with):


Laina in a classic Audrey bun (cuz when you've got a face and bone structure like that, your hair belongs slicked back to show it off, wouldn't you agree?):

Hannah banana and Cas:

Amy d.k.

Yours truly,
*(Jamie Dallas, I have NO idea how I missed a pic of your hair. I'm so sorry!)

Last (but DEFINITELY not least) the Bride:


Only sexy, big, bold, luscious curls would do:

And yes, that is me crying. If you only understood the type of hairstyles I used to plague Nae with for high-school proms. The miraculous transition from corn rows to a stunning birdcage veil merits tears:



Ready to go...

3. REMOVE STUCK VEHICLE FROM SNOW.
This was the part where it got a little crazy. Casady and I had the flowers loaded in the car and somehow managed to get ourselves stuck on the way to the wedding. BIG FAT FREAKING OH NO. To make matters worse, all the boys were already gone. We basically ran around in our stilettos like chicken with our heads cut off, begging neighbor after neighbor for help. No such luck. Warning to future Tahoe wedding parties: Subaru driving female residents on the lake are soooo not accommodating to ditzy blondes who show up helpless at their doorstep: you're on you own. It was up to us bridesmaids and girlfriends. YES. SIX WOMEN. HEELS, DRESSES, HAIR, NAILS, AND ALL. We pushed (not we, technically I drove) that sucker to safety. A mighty thanks is owed to the girls - Katie, the mud flinging onto your darling knit tights did not go unnoticed. Amy, good job on lying to Shinae until we arrived.



The ceremony:






Partaaay time:



My own handsome groom:











Later, Ty and I sneaked off to our hotel and woke up to this view:



And of course, the best part of all....


The return of my babies (We really missed them...)



It was a delightful get-away.

Congrats again, we love you Josh & Shinae.










3 comments:

Joan said...

That last pic of London with her bink and her blankie is SOOOOO MAX--I'm DYING about it! I want to SQUEEEZE her.
Congrats to Shinae and her man :)

Sarah Hansen said...

So fun:) SO Beautiful. SHA NAE... I love your pictures!! So romantic.

Shinae said...

Rae pooper.

Don't sell yourself short...the centerpieces and hair were big jobs! And seriously both turned out so beautiful. Such a multi purpose blanket you are.

also...got our pics from the photographer and there are some real WINNERS of you dancing and a super sexy one of you and Ty about to kiss. I'll have to send them over.

Love, Nae