Saturday, February 27, 2010

Hungry? Try these.

I am absolutely, in no way, attempting to ever turn this blog into a cooking or recipe blog. Frankly, there are far too many of them doing a much better job, and I've never in my life generated my own meal creations without other people's recipes (unless you count that one time we only had ground beef and I scrambled it with eggs and a variety of seasonings to make a really lovely smorgasbord of gross).
But, thought I - why not share the favorite dinners of the week that I make? We do have some rather delightful dishes in these parts, and it seems a shame not to share. When something is delicious, don't you just want to shout it from the roof-tops?! I'm hardly ashamed of moaning loudly through a meal or forcing a brownie down someone's throat just to get them in on the ecstasy.

And with that said, I rarely cook the same thing twice.

[Whoa ther' girl, that sounded a little obnoxious.]

It just bores me something fierce to think of repeating the same measly steps and achieving the same product as before, and if I'm bored, I won't cook. Only the mega winners go on the repeat list. So every week before I grocery shop, I can usually scramble together five different, new recipes to make a shopping list from that sound yummy (between my cookbooks, Taste of Home, Food-Network, and the internet, it's much easier than it seems).

The two I have for you today are Rachael Ray's (I've mentioned before that about 80% of all my recipe picks often are). Try these bad boys out if you're feeling in a recipe rut. They were smashingly successful additions to the menu board. Click on the titles for links to the recipes:


*Pizza w/ garlic chicken, sun-dried tomatoes, broccoli, fresh mozzerella & basil
(I buy whole wheat pizza dough at Whole Foods at only $1.30 a pop! I ask the pizza department for a few frozen balls of it so I can stock them in my freezer. Yummy.) Homemade pizza makes dinner-time so... artisan. It feels like a special occasion, and yet it really is so simple.
As a mother, I suddenly seem like fun. [Wow, imagine that.]




*Taco Pasta Toss
I really wasn't feeling the whole glorified hamburger helper vibe coming from the words "Taco" and "Toss" combining with some sort of noodle all in one title. But oh boy, we loaded ours with toppings of chopped avocado, shredded lettuce, grape tomatoes, and freshly squeezed lime. It was down-home heaven, a
completely family friendly, budget friendly meal.
(P.s., also used whole wheat pasta. I'm telling you, it's just as good).




As I sat stuffing my face with these delicacies, I thought : my name is Rachel! What if I attempted an internet campaign of Rachel & Rachael: the knock-off project. I could cook one of her recipes for 365 days. Rain or shine, we eat a Rachael Ray dish, all in an attempt to eventually get invited to come to her show for a visit. Then I thought, naaah. That would hardly qualify as a highlight of my life. I'm sorry, it just wouldn't. As much as I like her cooking, I'm not that into the show.


But, I can try to start sharing my favorites meals of the week.

[However, let it be known, consistency isn't my strong point.]



Enjoy.
















5 comments:

Shinae said...

So funny...I was just reading a Rachael Ray magazine while babysitting and it had the taco toss in it! Maybe it's a sign I should make it. :)

I am currently testing out the slow cooker Lemon Banana Cake Pudding from the same issue...I'll let you know how it goes. :)

I'm already anticipating your comment back...something along the lines of, "Oh my dear heavens above Shinae.. cooking!! I thought I'd never see the day. Married life has changed you for the better!"

Am I right??

Amy said...

one, this post made me hungry... two, this post made me miss places like Whole Foods. I'll just have to live vicariously through you and you inconsistent food postings (which is fine by me).

Thanks for the lovely comment on my last post, it was very sweet. =)

xoxo
Amy

Rae. said...

Nae -

I was seriously contemplating a post entitled "Hell has frozen over."

It was going to include your email to me stating you shopped at Winco, and now this cooking deal - and not only cooking, but using a SLOW COOKER?!!!

And to think! The girl who once had to ask how to make Mac & cheese!

Amy - How could you miss Whole Foods?! Isn't Europe full of amazing little fresh markets? (Probably not in winter). I picture you (somewhat jealously) meandering the streets of Germany with a basket and fresh fruits!

rae

Sarah Hansen said...

Yes. I will be adding this to my menu...I am becoming a rather domestic diva if I may say so myself. Also, Shinae karma is a funny thing because I shop at Winco and I can hardly contain the excitement I feel while shopping there. Pathetic. I know. Now it is only 11:30 and I want to make a pizza. Yum.

the other Amy said...

Are you trying to compete with Josh Nae? I thought since you picked an amazing cook for a husband that meant you got to kick back while he created purple dinosaur masterpieces.

Rae - I love how you're like....meh, I don't care about attempting something that might possibly get me on the Rachael Ray show. I mean hello SHE should want to hang out with YOU. ;)