Monday, May 10, 2010

Week in recap: a good one.

This past week I decided on a whim to escape to Utah to say farewell to my little brother Ian. He is embarking on his mission to Thailand. Whoo hoo! I am hyperventilating a little bit though, especially after our family meeting with a good friend who also served his mission in Thailand. Among his many adventures, he was sure to detail eating a plethora of bugs and red ants (staples among common Thai food, especially in the countryside), and the humidity. Oh dear, maybe it was just because I am pregnant, but hearing about the regular hot, sweltering humidity made me sticky just listening. Hardly the Thailand I've read about in brochures. But I'm not worried about Ian, no...not Ian....just look at him:




Okay okay, sorry, the sister in me couldn't resist. This is really him:



Sigh, it was hard saying goodbye to him. Like really hard. I was surprised how I was hit at that moment. Such a good kid, this one. A real gem. Hugging him in his suit, knowing that I was saying goodbye to a certain boyishness that wouldn't return after two hard, worthwhile years of service in a foreign land. My daughters will miss him (such a good uncle...he'll be the best Dad someday), Tyler doesn't have a tennis partner anymore, and I will never forget how much he helped me out during the past few months (9pm...Tyler's in class...phoning Ian "Hi Ian...will you please run to the store and buy me some more ginger ale?"..."Sure Rae, be right over.")

The MTC (Missionary Training Center) has a new way of having missionaries enter, and this time only one vehicle is permitted to pull up to the curb and drop off their missionary (Space & time purposes...it really does make sense). So we said our goodbyes at the park across the street, and crammed every single body into one vehicle to drive him into the MTC. All 80 of us (or so it seemed) tearfully waved and yelled goodbye out the windows as he unloaded and headed up the walkway to his new adventure. Watching him walk away alone, I couldn't help offering a silent prayer of gratitude that the Thai people are known as some of the kindest and most welcoming people to missionaries. Love them Buddhists. Please, take good care of my brother.

So don't ever be mean to a missionary. No matter what. Even if they do look a little dorky with bike helmets and fanny packs and suits. I promise you, they are gold....and they probably have a sister somewhere in the world that will kick your a@& if she ever found out.


****

Spending time in Utah was grand. My ol' stomping grounds. First stop, Cafe Rio (of course). In fact, it would actually be more accurate to say that I travel specifically to Cafe Rio and happen to visit Utah while I'm there. Then Zupas and Kneaders and Rumbi's. Utah has the best food I tell you. I return just to eat. And since my taste buds have returned, I actually enjoyed it (well, most of it). The flowers at Temple Square were to. die. for.

The whole family drove in a caravan of three separate vehicles.
Jacob drove with us (Tyler couldn't come because of work).

Jacob


No sister joke this time. This is really Jacob.

Okay, maybe a little kidding.

But I'm not giving you any more photos for verification.


He was so patient and cute with my girls (another future amazing Daddy), even after London's 90th request that he turn around and look at whatever she was pointing at out the window. "Gacobe (Jacob)! Gacobe! Yoook! Yooook Gacobe! Yoook!" Heaven help me, it was torture. But 16 hours round-trip in the car gave us lots of time to catch up. It feels like it has been years since we've had a good long chat.


****

I returned very refreshed and ready to turn a new leaf. I made my first dinner menu and grocery shopped and felt fabulously functional again. Remember how I said I would post two dinner items a week! Ha! Why do I say anything? The moment I do, I'm forever cursed to NOT keep up with what I profess. Oh well. But here are a few items on the list:


Awesome summer meal. Not so good with the bi-polar Spring weather we've been having. I planned it on a warm day. We ate it on a cold day. Perfect for lunches too.


Next up:

Tri-tip with Pineapple & Cucumber Salsa:


Still can't wrap my taste buds around this one. But I purchased six tri-tip roasts during a great sale about two weeks before I found out I was pregnant. Meat and I have still not made peace during this phase of pregnancy. But just the fact that I'm willing to give it a try means improvement. Sigh, miss you Tri-tip. Miss you.


****

Mother's Day was lovely. We had purchased and planted pansies, petunias, red geraniums, and a gorgeous summer yellow rose bush to brighten our back yard. I viewed them happily out our window through the freezing rain, desperately hoping they wouldn't be slaughtered in this psycho weather.

I normally want to do nothing but sleep and lie in bed on Mother's Day. I've certainly had enough of that, so I actually served lunch and dinner and was thrilled to return to church.

It was a good day. We watched Swiss Family Robinson all piled in blankets on the living room floor before bed. Later, Tyler and I listened, facing each other with our heads on our pillows in bed, to our girls giggling and misbehaving in their bedroom. We smiled and laughed at their antics, until our eyes widened as we heard the last words shrieked:

"London! Shut UPPPPPPPPPP!"

"No YeeeLeee, you Sutttttttt UPPPPPPPPPP!"


Clearly, we have some work to do.


****


I'm coming back. Hooray!















1 comment:

Joan said...

Yay! You have returned :)
I'm proud of you for posting recipes--you must be doing really well. I'm still on the sick wagon but doing well enough to function for the most part.
Once May is over I'm sure I will be back to my old self too.
I cannot believe Ian is a missionary...when did he get so old?! Didn't Dan just get home? haha. Time flies when we're making babies! I miss you.