Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Good, The Bad, and The Recipes.






The Good:

This morning. My children playing together. London in her beloved Care Bear outfit. German pancakes for conference. Having Tyler home.

The Bad:

Tyler leaving to catch his flight.
My oh my he's had to be gone a lot lately.
But I'm doing much better this time...which leads me back to

The Good:

Last night he indulged my special request for our date: dinner and a good float in the pool at the gym. Seriously, two people at 9:30pm at night in the Gold's Gym pool.
Ooooo laaaa laaaaaaa.
Actually it wasn't for romantical purposes. He shivered and patiently swam and waded with me as I floated and went on and on and on about how heavenly it felt for my body to be submersed in water. We discussed many things as I held on to his neck and he pulled me up and down the lap lane, among the most important was his ingenious plan to invent a home friendly tank of water that a pregnant woman can be inserted in up to her neck for sleep.
Watch out Bill and Melinda Gates, cuz Microsoft is about to get schooled as the world is introduced to

The
ImpregaratorInsinkernator

I didn't marry this brilliant Engineer for nothin'...which leads me back to

The Bad:

Forget the business trip Tyler, you are so much fun to be with.
I always miss you, my best friend.

Lily and I made our favorite Pumpkin Chocolate chip cookies to ease the pain of your absence...
which leads me to conclude with....


The Recipes:

German Pancakes
(special shout out to Joanie, who introduced them to us and we have since been mildly obsessed)

1/4 cup butter
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
6 eggs
1/4 tsp salt

Heat oven to 415.
Melt the butter in a 13x9 inch glass pan.
Beat together milk, flour, eggs, and salt.
Pour in pan.
Bake for about 20 minutes, until it is a wonderful ball of fluff.

Serve sliced with butter and syrup, or your favorite combination of fruits and whipped cream, or nutella and bananas, or powdered sugar and lemon juice, or whatever your precious heart desires.

........

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies with
Rae's amazing Twist (i.e. orange icing).
1 cup sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup oil
1 egg

Mix together above ingredients. Sift and add to above:

2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder

Dissolve and add to rest of ingredients:

1 tsp soda
1 tsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips

Drop by spoonfuls on a cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.
Cool.

Orange icing:

1/2 cup butter
A cup or so of powdered sugar
Orange

Melt the butter and mix with the powdered sugar.
Slice orange in half and squeeze all the juice,
until you have a nice icing-like consistency.
Zest the peel into the icing.
Lightly drizzle over the cookies.

Of special note:
*I make half of the batch without chocolate chips. We appreciate diversity in baking.
*You can skip the fresh orange and just add orange extract to the above orange icing ingredients.
*When you are done, you will need to promptly hide the entire batch.
You will have already eaten 9 cookies and won't be able to stop until you feel like vomiting.
They are that good.


Enjoy!




6 comments:

Mrs. Officer Andelin said...

I like my german pancakes with whipped cream, powdered sugar, and bananas. Oh and a little syrup drizzle on top. They have been a tradition in my family ever since I can remember.

I feel for you while Tyler is gone. Believe me, I truly understand.

Jamee
xoxo

Amy said...

I seriously laughed out loud when I saw London in her care bear outfit. It is awesome. (Plus, there hasn't been too much laughing around here... I've been up since 4 am... it felt REALLY good).

As for your german pancakes... we called them 'Dutch Babies' and we have them EVERY Christmas morning. Love 'em.

xoxo
Amy

Sarah Hansen said...

Tyler you are such a genius. That makes me laugh. Rachel I will be making those cookies this evening to enjoy while I watch Dancing with the Stars and cheer on Bristol Palin.

Ashley Jane said...

I can't wait to bake the Pumpkin Chocolate Chip cookies although I will probably be the only one stuffing my face with them! Thanks Rae:)

Katie said...

Rachel-
Despite the fact that I read daily, I don't think I've ever commented!!! Shame on me. I LOVE LOVE LOVE reading your words. I find myself laughing, crying, cheering and thinking deeper as I read through most of your posts. Anyways...of course the first time I comment, it's in response to a post about food. I just made these cookies and I'm not sure whether to fly to Reno and hug you or punch you. These are the BEST cookies I have EVER made. No joke. I can't stop eating them...make it STOP!!!! I haven't even done the icing yet and I have a feeling I won't have the patience/self-control to make it that far. :)
Love,
Katie (shinae's friend)
P.S. - So excited for you and the whole fam!! I'm pretty much OBSESSED with the absolutely perfect name you already have picked out for the little one.

Emily and Alex Knight said...

mmmm...the recipe was great rachel!! Instead of putting orange in the frosting, I put cinnamon. I LOVED THEM. They aren't too sweet like some cookies..just right! THANKS!