Friday, November 26, 2010

Get inspired.

One of the best things about the world of blogging has been the strange and seemingly real connections I feel towards other inspirational people. A whole new world of acquaintances and stories has sprung up leaving me feeling like there really are people out there to look up to. I've enjoyed others recommendations, and am excited when I stumble upon a new "find". While I totally am of the mindset of "less is more", and generally find all things technologically advanced to be a double edged sword (i.e. new exciting topics, bloggers, stories, designs, ideas and yet more time often WASTED cluttering my life with more more more),
I prefer today to just focus on the positive!

1. If you're in need of inspiration, and a totally ugly booger face cry (as demonstrated by me), head over to Bloom (a regular stop for me) and read the story about Reagan and Miggy. Two amazing mothers with special needs children. They interview each other and speak candidly about life with their precious babes. It is both heartbreaking and inspiring and beautiful all at once. Really, a must read.

Click here for interview Part 1.

Click here for interview Part 2.

2. Feminist Mormon Housewives. I like this blog for a few reasons. First off, the name is catchy. I like that. I consider myself one for sure. But not in the way one might generally connote a "feminist", or a "Mormon", or a "housewife"... which is generally to admit I have no idea what I consider myself. But I appreciate the thoughts brought up (which can be controversial) and the general forum that branches bravely outside of the Mormon Mommy spectrum of home decor, child rearing, food storage, and baking (not that there is anything wrong with those either...it's all part of a well balanced cyber diet for a feminist Mormon baking blogging decorating child rearing working stay at home housewife like myself - proud of it.).

Again, a great place to be inspired by unique individuals with great stories...and a place that blows my inadequate and trite "baking home decor food storage" stereotype right out of the water. (*Also as a disclaimer: Mormon women do not corner the market and are not the only sources of my inspirational or unique examples. Good gracious no! I'm just sharing the recent things I've come in contact with - ).
4. And this one isn't on the web, per se - but I did find it through the online recommendation from a blogger who recommended a blogger who recommended a recipe from a cook who recommended a book which I hated but led me to another book I loved....drum roll please....titled:

In Defense of Food.
By Micheal Pollan.

You have probably already heard of it, possibly years ago. I'm always behind on the gravy train. We've made some food modifications in our home in the past few months, I'll elaborate on a post at some later time. I am of the opinion that food is to be celebrated. Period. It just is. I think Pollan presents a plethora of helpful food information with a healthy attitude about how we're really supposed to be eating. Fascinating and insightful. Totally readable too.


5. And if you're really in need of a pick-me-up...



Ellie Jane's first bath was today. Her little umbilical cord piece finally fell off, praise the heavens. Lily and London made a point to regularly remind me of how much it freaked them out.
"Mom, I don't yike dat."
"Mom, I don't yike dat."
"Mom, I don't yike dat."

If you don't find this gloriously rejuvenating, I give up and can't help you.




6. Now tell me, while we're on the topic of overloading your life with more information and cyber stops,

Any recommendations?
Where are you a regular visitor to?

I always wonder what other peeps favorite sites are.












2 comments:

Emily and Alex Knight said...

I am embarassed to recommend my cousins blog, but it really real, and funny. If your not afraid of a swear word hear and there (no f words) and you want to laugh out loud she's a good one. She is actually getting pretty popular in the blogging world. Check it out.

chelseachamberlain.blogspot.com

Amy said...

Look at little Ellie in her bath! SO PRECIOUS but I agree with London and Lily... I wasn't a fan of the cord stump falling off either.

Love to you all!

Amy

p.s. FOOD BLOGS... ANY AND ALL! But most often... www.lickthebowlgood.blogspot.com