Saturday, January 1, 2011

a WHOLE new year.





I'm pleased to announce, in accordance with last year's resolution, that I have stopped hating January!!
Oh good glory it is a wonderful time...I don't know what my problem was for all of those years! Maybe it took becoming a mother of three, but I was more than happy this time around to box away the Christmas decorations, stop baking, stop wrapping, stop spending, and get back to the good ol' schedule with resolutions to put some pep in my step.
I kicked it off by cleaning out my closet today. Good glory again!

Years and years of crap CRAP CRAP!!! GONE!! GOOOOOD GLORY GOOOONE!!!
Bagged away, boxed up, and shipped off to goodwill (although I really think a case could be made for changing Goodwill to Badwill. Unloading years of of impulsive, thoughtless purchases - cheap materials, ill fitting denims, trashy shoes, trend-attempting accessories - hardly seems 'charitable'.).
And yet I STILL have a full closet.



This will be my year of self, a whole self.

So, I broke my resolutions down into three basic categories. Hold on to your bootstraps, because these are very, vvvvvery original.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

You ready?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
To hear them?
.
.
.
.
.
.
My super duper original categories?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Okay okay
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.


Mind.


Body.


Spirit.


Wow. Oh wow. So original, right?

Leave it to me to think outside of the box. Holllaaaaaa!





...............


For my Mind, I intend to:


2. Read the Constitution (more in depth this time, I have read it).

3. Speak more of ideas, and less of people (i.e. gossip) and things. Is it just me, or are you starved for good conversation sometimes too? Honestly, the other day my sister made a comment about the issue of gay marriage and I literally followed her like a curious puppy into the bathroom to continue the discussion. It wasn't a debate, or an argument...but an exchange of ideas and questions and thoughts. I came home that evening and realized I'm starved of that with other people. Particularly fellow women. I don't always need to have conversations about sale prices or child rearing or hair styles or marriage. Surface level is safe, and I get that. It gets dangerous to expose your thoughts and questions. You worry you won't express yourself articulately or ask the 'proper' questions, or that people will somehow think differently of you for wondering about certain topics.
But sometimes, just sometimes, I need more. And I don't think I need to declare a minor in philosophy and spend my time solely on a university campus to get it (where a different danger abounds: nauseating elitism and obnoxious students attempting to use big words to impress the professor. I prefer blatant ignorance over hearing the words "flagitious" and "diaphonous" any day. Oh pleasssse, I think.... for the love of all things holy, shut uup.).

.......


For my body, I intend to:


1. Follow bits and pieces of advice from my latest obsession with food books and documentaries.





We have already made some changes in our household in the past year. As you might already know, I am a food lover. Major food lover. Fresh food lover. Real food lover. Cooking lover. But I'm also a lover of health. Nothing reminds me of that more than being pregnant, when I feel chronically awful for a good chunk of time. I love feeling good inside. And I despise not feeling good. Have you ever had the flu, and promised yourself you'd never take it for granted again when you once again feel good? I have.

We have made the switch to a local organic company that delivers our produce to our doorstep and WE LOVE IT...only $20 a week for a case full of produce that I select.

Food, simply put, is the best way to feel good or bad.
I think that's fascinating.

I plan on nourishing myself and my family this year. Nourishing them well, so their bodies can in turn enjoy life. Screw 'losing ten pounds' as my resolution. I'm confident if I nourish myself properly, I shouldn't have to worry about that. Hopefully.


2. I'm going hiking. YES!! HIKING! Laugh it up sibs (my siblings) and Tyler...this little domesticated so-called diva is going to complete 5 hikes from this book:
and I plan on taking my children with me! (on some of them)




..........


For my Spirit, I intend to:


1. Pray daily. One good, hearty, mindful prayer.

I know being Mormon should already take care of that, right?
Yes, we pray over meals in our home. We pray before bed as a family. We pray before church meetings and school years and new years and on and on.
But I admit at once that the most needed prayer of my day often gets missed. The one with just me. In privacy, when I can really pour out my questions and desires and fears and gratitude. All of it. And then sit silently for a few minutes. I don't know why it is so hard to get that one in daily. It seems any time I do get a chance to say a good prayer I feel so much better. It is cleansing and powerful, and I need it.

Oh yes, and I'll end with one of the major things I'll be requesting help with during those prayers:

2. That I'll stop yelling at my kids.

Trust me, heroine addicts are going to have an easier weaning year than me when it comes to this one. It is my drug of choice. I yell.

And I hate that I yell!!!! This is the year of the yell. No more yelling, {except in life threatening situations: such as when Lily purposefully dumped an entire liter of orange soda all over the kitchen floor. Trust me, her life was in danger}.


..........





Here's to a New Year!! Wish me luck!


Happy New Year folks!


































3 comments:

Joan said...

Amen to hiking! You'll love it. There's a trail about ten mins from my front door (car ride). It takes about one hour up and down and it's the perfect workout.
Um, I didn't hear anything about "Complete a triathlon with Joan?!?! WHILE wearing really tight spandex that shows off our super hot bods even after we've birthed three children AND cross the finish line hand in hand?!"
I'm SO offended :)

Sarah said...

Please let me know when you take those hikes. I would love to take some pictures....

Anonymous said...

You write with the wit and eloquence I wish I had!