Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Current Events


In recipe news:






Cupcakes:

Betty Crocker Spice Cake Mix, make according to cupcake directions.
{Did you really think I would make these from scratch?}

Orange Cream cheese frosting

8 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup softened butter
juice squeezed from half an orange, save the rest for the zest
1-2 cups powdered sugar
milk

Mix above ingredients, adjust powedered sugar dependent on taste and how thick you like your frosting.

Garnish with orange zest and sprinkle with a bit of nutmeg.


Yummy. Big hit.



.............................


In church news:



Lily doesn't like Primary* lately.
(*children's Sunday church class)

Oh joy.

I had to attend last week, and spy in the back after I found her wandering the hallways of church while everyone else was in class. She basically tells her teacher she needs to go to the bathroom, then meanders down to the church library and asks the librarian to help her find her Grandma.

So when she peeked her head into the adult class and whispered out loud,
"Mom, I have to go poo poo..."

I figured things were getting out of control and I should just stick around the Primary room to make sure she stays put. So I watched.

What was she doing?

Examining London's teeth.

Seriously. I watched as Lily waved for London to come sit by her. Then she directed London to lay in her lap and open wide as she inspected her teeth.
London of course complied, and I watched this ludicrous scene in a stupor until Lily became exclaiming loudly, "Oh no London! There are lots of sugarbugs in there. Hold still! I'm not done yet!"

I marched up, and removed Lily to the halls.
I proceeded with the usual reverence lecture, telling her she is supposed to be listening to the teacher and the lesson and thinking about Jesus and flowers and sunshine and the whole schabang.

She was having none of it (lots of eye rolling).

And as I was about to resort to threats...

She sensed what was coming and outsmarted me:

"Mom, I want a spankin' and to go to time-out forever."

{rather than attend Primary}

Bad, bad Sunday.

Tyler and I attempted damage control for Monday's Family Home Evening. We all made 'reverence reminder cards', and talked about how we're supposed to behave in the Lord's house. They each colored a picture of themselves being reverent, and will bring them to church as a reminder to behave. Stickers will be awarded accordingly.

Hooooray!


{These will not work.}



.........................



In Television News:



Is it just me, or is The Bachelor truly the best thing since sliced bread?

It is everything that is so good about everything that is so bad.

What is right about everything wrong.

Such a guilty, obnoxious pleasure.

Masterpiece theater.

Reducing, repackaging, and cheapening love for mass entertainment and money.
It's better than a Kay Jeweler commercial.

I sit and watch with a bag full of fun-size snickers: criticizing, analyzing, shuddering in embarrassment, soaking in all the awkward moments and manufactured steamy sentiment.

I hope it never ends.


My Favorite: Emily (minus the weird denture teeth)

My other Favorite: That naughty B. Michelle. She's like the sexy version of Cruella Deville.

This photo: Cirque du soleil Bachelor dressed as GI Joe with mascara pretty much sums it up better than I ever could.
Priceless.




................................





Have a lovely week.
















6 comments:

Emily said...

Oh the frivolous crap we feel our minds with!! You should check out my Bachelor blog! Overdosedonbachelor.blogspot.com

Alex said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only mormon who watches the Bachelor (you should see some of the looks I get)...finally someone understands my addiction!

;)

P.S. The stories of your girls crack me up!

Amy Thrower said...

Your posts are seriously the highlight of my week. I will confirm it for you that The bachelor is the best show ever. Such a dumb show but who doesnt want to watch these girls give themselves a black eye to get attention. Emily is the best but Allie needs to go. Have a good week!

Natalie in Sparks said...

Keep it up with Lily, hopefully it's a stage! We too have dealt with issues like yours. Our twins are known to disappear to the "bathroom" for long periods of time during primary too.
Kelli H. used to threaten to make them sit on her lap if she found them wandering....which if you are a 8 or 9 year old boy is SOO embarrasing. So you have to find the thing she wouldn't want to do during primary as a punishment.

Funny about the bachelor! I get hooked on it too, however I am NOT following this one! (once you get started you can't stop!)

Joan said...

Oh wow. Lily's attitude is priceless. She is giving you a taste of your own medicine, I'm afraid, eh? haha.
I told my Mom about the "I'm SO done with you, Mom" story. She about peed her pants. That girl has some serious spunk. I wonder where she gets it from?! ;)

Artfulife said...

You totally cracked me up! I sometimes feel like I'm the one with over zealous kids at church. I think your daughters are adorable though. I'm sure it's just a phase :) So fun to see you today at play group. Hope you have a great rest of the week.