Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Stay tuned...This is big. Very BIG.

It was a late Wednesday evening when my mother arrived to pick my older brother and I up from our latest church youth group activity. We crammed into the back of an old red Subaru Justy and headed for home. She paused for a moment while driving, breaking her silence with unexpected news:

"Since I have a moment with just the two of you, your Dad and I want you to be the first to know.....I'm pregnant!"



Pregnant?
Preg.nant.?
As in, with your EIGHTH child? As in, I am fourteen years-old and now completely aware of the process involved in conception (consider the trauma!)? As in, I am already struggling to handle the upcoming staggeringly intimidating freshman year of high school after already being forced to reckon with the suffocating stigma of being a HOME-SCHOOLED MORMON? As in, you will show up PREGNANT and then with a NEW BORN CHILD at all of my social sporting events (assuming that I will actually MAKE an actual TEAM, given my previously sorry record of freshman cheerleading tryouts?)?
!!!!!!!
Woman, mother dearest..... even I - a mere adolescent girl who will be attending a private Catholic school wherein the sexual education curriculum will consist of two words (abstinence, and abstinence) all taught by a nun - know how to avoid 'predicaments' like these......







"Wow Mom, that's really great."


..................................




Whenever someone looks at me in shock as I walk into a store with three small girls, I can't help but think..."Oh hunnie, you should have seen my mother." This thought is immediately proceeded by

1. Wow, I can't believe people actually think three children is a lot of children nowadays.


and

2. I am lucky. So, soooo lucky.

That eighth child was my ticket to happiness in high school. Amid the swirl of pure teenage drama: dances and school elections and sports and cheerleading and boyfriends and friends and parties and problems and excitement and terror and fun and misery and pressure and growth, that eighth child was my piece of sanity. I would come home to her, and as she would toddle around in diapers and make me laugh I was quickly reminded of the greatest things in life.

My siblings were my refuge.

They still are.



And they are quite the bunch.


So for history's sake........











A series dedicated to my sibs! With personal interviews! With questions!

Beginning this week and for each week after, a sibling will be featured, leaving us with a scheduled completion sometime in 2023.

But don't worry - there will be interesting questions!

Like:



*Where/when are you happiest?


*If you had to feed sibling #6 to a tiger wherein he would be savagely ripped from limb to limb, or sit with sibling #1 in a room for 45 minutes straight after he's consumed a vat of beans (given his reputation), which would you choose?


*What is your life's motto?


*Does it make you feel powerful to be the one who always begins family arguments?






This should be good.








6 comments:

Sarah Hansen said...

Christopher and I are wondering if you can start with number six, Forrest, because we can't wait six whole crummy weeks to hear his life's motto. Can't wait. This is going to be entertaining. At least for the eight of us :)

Natalie in Sparks said...

Your family is so great! What wonderful entertainment lies in store for all of us!

Joan said...

Ohhhhh, this is going to be sooo good! :) I love the idea! You have my attention...

Mrs. Officer Andelin said...

I'm ready.

Jamee
xoxo

amy m. said...

Just caught up on your blog. Love the writing on the pics and excited for sib series!!

Ciara said...

I'm catching up.... and I'm howling. This will be hysterical. PS - Between #2 & #4 some of the happiest memories better involve cheerleading ;) HA HAAAAA!!!