Sunday, May 1, 2011

To each her own.








The warmer weather brings out all the sprouts in the neighborhood.



We like it.



I try to be very conscientious of not describing my children in a "comparison" format. 
I often fail, but desperately hope for their spirits to develop free of cumbersome labels, limiting projections, and self-fulfilling expectations.

"__(Child so and so)__ is our wild one, _(Child so and so)___ is much more emotional."

"(Child so and so) is athletic, (child so and so) a much better reader."

Before you know it, they'll actually start believing in the line-up.

I'm the smart one, she's the pretty one, she's the sass.

As if it isn't possible for them to be anything they wish, all at once.

I also try to avoid parental claims, of either grandeur or failure.

You are just like your father.......

You are just like your mother......


But sometimes, I'm sorry, I can't help it....



it is 
just 
too apparent:















Child, you are your Father's daughter







And the other one?



Oh yeah, no doubt about it.
 That one's mine:







It's okay Lundy-loo, I understand.




There are plenty of other things you can be fearless in...

{like baking}





Don't feel ashamed.


You can confront those fears. 


Or, you could
{ fake that there is something caught in your shoe} (so smart)




and politely exit. 

{Mommy has a cookie inside waiting for you anyways.}













2 comments:

Natalie in Sparks said...

Love the way you put that comparison. She is 100 percent girl with all the trimmings!
It's ok, I like to bake too. Nothing shameful there!

Joan said...

Oh she is edible! I want to squoosh her!