Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Bundle up: It's JUNE (?!!).


Only in this schizophrenic state will you find weather so bizarre.
Friday afternoon we decided come rain or shine, we were getting out.
My girls kept begging for us to go hunting. Which by hunting, they really meant hiking. And by hiking, we mean walking in the largely horizontal landscape of sagebrush behind our house.

City slickers.

What is my world coming to?


I actually find the rather barren terrain of my homeland beautiful. In fact, no one was more surprised than I, when a few months into traveling the magically lush countryside of England and Scotland, I found myself having random fits of homesickness for the ranges of NV.

Have you ever sniffed the fresh scent of moistened sage after a rainshower?



It really is lovely. The open sky and the huge quantities of space, it all feels so uncluttered.
This is what a mother of three young children needs: space and no clutter!




I frequently lament to Tyler the gaping difference between our girls' upbringing and my own. 
All these neighborhood children roaming the street.
Lily begging constantly to puuuuhlease go to her friend (so and so) or (so and so)'s house.
I love her interacting with others, but have seen one too many Oprah's to allow my children to simply enter into neighborhood homes without a thorough inspection of the domain.

'Um, hello, allow me to introduce myself: I'm Lily and London's mother. Before my girls come in to play, may I please enter your home, inspect your dark corners and assess whether or not I think your husband is the closet pedophile on the street ? It will just take a moment (and the hard drive on your computer)."
Thanks so much.









I much prefer the childhood I had, miles outside of any normal neighborhood. My mother could simply swing open the door and leave us with two direct commands:

"Get out."

and

"Run if you see a mountain lion."

Twas a golden era. I would so love that for my children.
Yet while I fantasize about a life tucked away from the ho-hem of a more modern paced society, I know it has its drawbacks. Dirt roads, dusty footprints, muddy winters, longer commutes.






{Lily's desert treasure finds}


It felt good to roam and talk as a family. You would have thought the girls were in Disneyland. They ran and jumped and raced and sang. We made up stories about Indians and building a giant fort we would all have to live in. Lily requested a swingset at the fort. Of course, duh. All desert Indian forts 300 yards from suburbia must have swingsets.

I was {yet again} reminded of the fun of having kids.
They really make me feel like one again.












2 comments:

Sarah Hansen said...

Love this post! Such a simple and fun adventure. The girls look like they are in Disneyland:)

Joan said...

You're a good Mama, Rae. There is something richly therapeutic about being outside as a family. I'm glad you are taking advantage of it.