Tuesday, August 2, 2011

It hurts so good.






I have a {beautiful} kindergartner. 
.
.
.
.
.
.
Which begs the question:

 What has happened to my life? 



My girl, my darling girl. Only five measly years, and then you must turn them over to the system, or {in our case} become magnificently inadequate home-schoolers.

uuuuggg.

I am actually handling it well. For starters, her  pre-kindergarten "screening" went just marvelously, highlighted best by my conversation with the speech therapist conducting a little interview with Lily. Upon conclusion she stated,


"Mrs. Haack, Lily has a mild frontal lisp."


"No she doesn't."


"Um,  yes....according to this test she does."


"Why don't you try saying that to my face?"


"I...am...saying it to your face."


"I know you are but what am I...?"


"Excuse me?"


"Supercalifragilisticexpidelilicieux."


"I think we're done here."


.
.
.
.
.
.

OKAY, THAT DIDN'T REALLY HAPPEN.

I channeled and suppressed the knee-jerk mama bear in me and accepted the preventative/early intervention suggestion of 15 minutes of daily oral exercises with the speech therapist.

But seriously, why do they want to make it go away? My little girl's entirely adorable itty bitty oh so pretty lisp? 

It's stho darn cute!

Schools ruin everything.










As you can see, the whole fan club made it. It was a good first day.
Lily even chose her very own first day of school attire. She informed me while shopping last week:

"Mom, I'm so sorry, I just can't wear it if it's TOO cute. I can only do cute."

WHAAAAAAT?!!!

FIRST YOU TURN FIVE!!! NEXT IT'S KINDERGARTEN!!! AND NOW YOU ARE DENYING ME THE RIGHT TO DRESS YOU IN FLAMINGO COLORED TOULE EMBROIDERED WITH MONKEYS HAVING A TEA PARTY AND BUBBLE GUM HEADBANDS?!!!!! WHY DON'T YOU JUST KILL ME NOW!!!!!!!






Like I said, I'm handling this transition splendidly.


I always remind myself of opposition in all things. Opposition in all things, opposition in all things, opposition in all things, Rachel. If this magically golden time of little bitties at my feet  truly lasted forever it would suddenly feel more like being sucked into the vortex of eternal slavery and drudge.

It's because it goes away that it becomes so special, so precious, so heart-breakingly beautiful.
 The gift lies in its very finite nature. 

The glory of having a child is the experience of watching them grow up.















No comments: