Monday, August 29, 2011

A tough goodbye.


We had the best summer.





Seriously, like a heavenly summer.

So grateful for it. It seems that we caught a glimpse, a little reward in this pocket of time. After seven long years of full-time work, full-time schooling, and full-time parenting, it was the first time we found ourselves basking a bit in the break. As of this summer, Tyler is an officially licensed Professional Engineer and holds a M.B.A. He's passed all tests! Met all requirements! Has written the last paper! No more school! 


Not to mention, he has three of the most stinkerlicious girls to add to those credentials. 

Not bad, not bad at all. 

Evenings are now spent with us, going out for ice cream cones.





And me? What do I have to show for it?



A tired uterus...?



We always agreed we would take turns going to school due to funding options. Such choices must be made. Tyler went first (what a man's world!), and as soon as I began having babies I sporadically took a class here and there. I wouldn't take it back for anything. I knew I wanted to be a young mom.
Soon, I must return to complete my degree.
But not quite yet. For now, I shall sit poolside and watch my children play and wish this summer a bit of a tearful goodbye.

It made me sad, I read an article the other day on gender equality. And in the entire article discussing the quest to improve the female condition, it made no mention of motherhood. None, zero, zip...nada. Apparently if it isn't quantified in terms of salary level, the female holds no ascertainable value - or at least nothing this supposedly feminist touting journalist found worthy to discuss. I guess my contribution to society can only be measured after this phase of my life, when I hold a degree and make some 'real money'. Interesting.

Oh no, there I go getting all political again. Better head back to the pool.























1 comment:

Joan said...

A "tired uterus?!?!?!" Seriously!? Ahhh ha ha ha ha!!!! I LOVE youuu! :) I belly laughed when I read that. Your Hansen-Haack uterus tired!?!?! Never, my dear! Well, maybe after six girls...I mean, 3 girls and 4 strapping sons :)