Saturday, December 3, 2011

Rae's Randoms

Today the big girls are away with Tyler is Cali for the day, attending Great Grandpa Don's 90th birthday. Hooray for GGDon! But like an idiot, I accidentally scheduled my rehearsal for my piano students' upcoming recital today. Too much prep had gone into it to cancel, so I stayed home with Ellie Belle. Now I've had approximately 12 hours of semi-alone time! The house is clean, laundry is washing, I've eaten a King Size Kit Kat Bar and left over donuts from the rehearsal, took a nap, feel really barfy (seriously...gross...what was I thinking?!! I know what I was thinking: Freeeeedom!! I'm going to eat donuts and a Kit Kat!), and now I am ready for my offspring and husband to return so we can decorate our Christmas tree.

Which leads me to Rae's random blogging:

*While on the topic of barfy, it is unfortunate that you can't undo the damage done. I thought about making myself a salad to somehow cleanse the gut-bomb gurgling in my innards. Then I thought donuts+chocolate+lettuce = eeeewwwwww.

*Vintage is overdone. I've come to this conclusion over a period of months perusing too many design magazines and blogs. I'm all for re-purposing and trying to console yourself with the amount of garbage in your life, but I like to keep the wise words from a friend in mind: "There is a fine line between decorating with an antique here and there and your house just looking creepy." Amen sista.

*One child is soooo easy. Why didn't I know this when I had only one child?! Today with Ellie was practically like a day at the spa, only with a cute fat chubby num num to nibble on and squeeze while soaking in the bubble bath.

*Speaking of one child, I think I've also become a better and better mother with each child, only I have less and less time. I can only assume the trade-off should mean something for the theories of birth order.

*I've been fascinated by some amazing debates between top-notch Christian apologists and their top-notch atheist counterparts. Just listened to this one here. I got all my bathrooms spotless while listening. Imagine that! I am an in-the-closet-lover-of-all-things-religion-and-philosophy. Well not entirely in the closet, and those who know me best would probably say I see nothing very closeted about your interests. I have mentioned a few things here and there. I am thinking about doing a series on the ol' blog, something along the lines of 'what a random Mormon American stay-at-home-mother housewife thinks about the following....". But then I figured the title was boring enough.

*Especially in love with Tyler as of late. Isn't it wonderful when that happens? I always love the guy but it is amazedaze what a little date can do. I married the most perfect man for me...and I have no idea how that happened.

*I was asked to speak in Church last Sunday. The topic was the following: Children.
I believe in Children! No apologies.



*I might just try a salad in a minute.

*Reviewed last year's New Year's resolutions and am proud to report I pretty much accomplished none. of. them.

*It's birthday season around here for us. Ellie - November. London - December. Lils - January. I just gear up and go hard core. London will be having a "Uni-Cowrn tea potty" this year (unicorn tea party). I am excited. Anything for that face. And anything for a little girl who says 'uni-cowrn' like she does.

*Great Uncle 'Whyan" (Ryan) in from Africa and delivering his annual gift to the girls: My Little Ponies. I love that he scours thrift stores and Walmart in search of the most 'sparkly' ones. It is his way of repaying an old debt. When we were kids, he once convinced me to flush my Megan doll (she was the girl who tended the ponies -remember?!) down the toilet when we were playing with my forbidden pony village together. He promised it would be fun to watch her swim 'round and round'. Like the foolish four year old I was, I agreed and watched her going....going....gone forever!!?? He was never forgiven...until now.



*Best appetizer ever alert. My mother-in-law introduced me to this gem. Melt brie cheese and a few tablespoons of fresh pesto together. Slice fresh baguettes and dip away. MMMMMmmmmmmmmm.

 Lily loves it so much she requested that Nonna provide her own supply at Thanksgiving. Nonna kindly obliged and had a special package made just for Lily to take home. It has been happily devoured at lunchtime in this household. Anyone wonder why I get so fat by the time of delivery when I'm pregnant? Such a mystery.


*Did you notice the ol' holiday centerpiece switch-a-roo on my kitchen table?! How do ya like them apples?




The end.






4 comments:

Joan said...

Yay for Uncle Ryan! :) So cute to see him with your girls.
I can't think of two more delicious foods than brie and pesto...and this recipe calls for a combination of the two heavenly ingredients?!?! I'm GAME!
How nice to have a day to yourself (sort of).
That little Ellie J is SO darling with her fat cheeks and little stubby front teeth! I want to eat her along with that brie appetizer! haha.

Joan said...

Yay for Uncle Ryan! :) So cute to see him with your girls.
I can't think of two more delicious foods than brie and pesto...and this recipe calls for a combination of the two heavenly ingredients?!?! I'm GAME!
How nice to have a day to yourself (sort of).
That little Ellie J is SO darling with her fat cheeks and little stubby front teeth! I want to eat her along with that brie appetizer! haha.

Melissa said...

ok, sarah and i were at our ugly sweater party tonight talking about your blog and how none of us like it when no one comments on our awesome insights, so i thought i'd comment on yours because i laughed at quite a few of your bullet points.


first. kit kats and donuts sound delicious. krispy kreme. yummm. it's too bad that it eventually comes back to get ya.

second. i can't believe you compared one child to going to the spa. not that zak is super hard. but the spa? man... that must feel amazing. =)

and third. i want to see how you do your uni-cowrn party =)

rae said...

Melissa,

Oh so funny, I wish I could have been there! And about the 'one child' hypothesis...it ISN'T easy!!! That is the sick and twisted irony in it all, you only think it is easy once you are way past that point... I tell each of my friends who ask me "which is more difficult - two kids? three?" that it always feels the same: hard!

You are doing a GOOD job! I'm so glad you dropped by!

rae