Friday, February 3, 2012

Divine.






Enter a Sunday School class of 12-18 year old Mormon girls on any given Sunday and you are bound to witness them stand at attention and recite the Young Women's Theme. And along with it comes the lineup of rather typical details that illustrate such a procedure: you have a majority of girls standing at attention voicing it out in polysyllabic memorized chunks, a couple of older girls (usually the class presidents) intent on out-voicing the others in order to add inflection to the impossibly drone-like monotone wave that settles on a group speaking in unison, one visitor standing in utter perplexity at her surroundings, two pranksters adding vibrato sung pitches to the ends of each sentence, three or so girls snickering and whispering in the back completely unaware or in open protest of polite group participation, at least four leaders graciously smiling and attempting to speed the slowing tempo....

and every now and then there is one person, if only in one particular instance, standing in attempted private concealment silently

Crying. 

Reading the words for what seems the first time, when in all reality she has recited this pledge - largely in annoyance and mock servitude - since the moment she began sprouting breasts. The words suddenly speak to her...

I am a daughter of  my Heavenly Father who loves me....

Faith...Divine Nature...Knowledge....Choice and Accountability...Good Works...Integrity....Virtue...

And she thinks to herself:

This is the best damn thing I've heard in a long time!
Only I shouldn't be swearing...but oh well, it's just in my head...
But really...upon further inspection...what a remarkable notion.... this is damn. good. stuff. 


............................................................


To liken all scenarios in my life to food, something which I seem to do so well, I remember coming across a passage years ago in a magazine that caused me to pause in what good ol' Oprah would coin an 'ah ha' moment. Or, label it what you will: a light-bulb goes off, something clicks, disequilibrium vanishes as a new connection settles in, usually resulting in you muttering something extremely articulate like, 

Whoaaa. Totally.

And I'll be danged that after exhausting my google search engine I still can't locate the passage. 
It was in reference to the way we eat, our approach to food, and more specifically our literal connection to all living things here on this earth. To paraphrase, through amazingly scientific and relatively boring terms like photosynthesis/organelles/membranes...

 it reminded me to take care 
and give thanks 
because the apple I had mindlessly chomped
 was once {quite literally}
 the sun.

I kid you not, I looked at my food in a whole new light after that day (pun intended, oh i'm goood). A new respect and reverence developed as I became sort of entranced at the lettuce on the tip of my fork, rotating it and examining it's deep leafy texture more thoroughly. Well hi little lettuce man, aren't you special? A magical manifestation of light intended to supply me with life's nutrients and wonder and sunshine?!....

I felt the same way about Twinkies. Well hi little twinkie dear, aren't you special? A magical manifestation of brightness and the wonder of little kernels of inedible corn and soy and wheat completely modified and processed under manufacturing conditions as to render you unrecognizable, addictive and so necessary after a day spent with three children under the age of five...you were the sun once too!


........................................................

Is any of this insanely tangential rambling going to finally intersect so I can make a point here?

No.

Okay, maybe.

It gives me a starting place. For myself, for my daughters. 
If they will ever understand their power to do, or be, or act
It will be because of their own 'ah ha' moments that draw from the source of such power.
Rooted in this eternal pedigree, their faith, their divine nature. 
That just as a measly piece of arugula has roots tracing to the very stars of heaven, 
they too were once a part of The Son.


And if they can hold to, believe in
and grasp 
even a small fraction 
of such a mind-boggling idea...
everything changes.

.........................................................................

"Woman is God's supreme creation. Only after the earth had been formed and after man had been placed on the earth was woman created; and only then was the work pronounced complete and good.  Of all the creations of the Almighty, there is none more beautiful, none more inspiring...


 Limitless is your potential.  Magnificent is your future, if you will take control of it.  Do not let your lives drift in a fruitless and worthless manner...Never forget that you came to earth as a child of the divine Father, with something of divinity in your very makeup...."




*-All quotations from President Gordon B. Hinckley, 
Prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints 























4 comments:

Abbie said...

I'm so freaking happy you (will) have 4 daughters. This is damn good stuff.

The Mrs. said...

Good quotes. good thoughts.
I needed this today.

xoxo

Joan said...

It is a treat to walk the inner sanctum of Rachel's mind. Truly. Thank you for allowing me in for a bit. I look forward to my next visit :)

Jacob Hansen said...

Inspiring. I have those moments too. Often we get, because we get inundated with so much great stuff in the gospel all the time that we forget...just how amazing it is. I remember one day on the mission realizing how amazing it is that God has inspired prophets to make known his will to his children. I remember seriously wanting to run around to every house and grab people just to say. GOD CALLED A PROPHET!!! NO JOKE HE REALLY DID, YOU NEED TO HEAR THIS!!!