Sunday, September 30, 2012

Meal Planning Mondays: deserving better.


Never before motherhood had I known such involuntary starvation.

It can be wildly misleading when someone congratulates me on two postpartum pounds shed.
You would think I was actually doing something right over here.

  Ya know, a breastfeeding mother needs to be careful about her nutrition, right?
I wish I could say I am dutifully eating my five mini meals a day,
taking ample supplements
yada yada yada.
In all reality it is too often that I feel shaky and light-headed around five pm, realizing that WAIT A MINUTE I HAVE LITERALLY NOT HAD A SINGLE THING TO EAT YET TODAY BESIDES ELLIE JANE'S ANIMAL CRACKER AND I'M GOING TO DIE THIS VERY INSTANT CALL 911.
How does this happen you ask? Well go ahead and have yourself four children who each intermittently cry, spill things, ask for seconds/thirds/fourths, destroy your house, require discipline, breastfeed every three hours (well, one of them anyways), incessantly interrupt,  live on nap schedules, need to be picked up from school, taken to piano/story-time/playdates/library visits/dentist appts, and who strategically await for the anxiously anticipated millisecond when you will actually sit down and attempt to take a bite of their leftover peanut butter and jelly crust for the victorious moment when they will shout out to you from the bathroom needing immediate assistance.... 

and you will soon understand why all of this is followed by
a completely ravenous and starved little me drowning myself in half a bowl of cookie dough made solely for the purpose of a one-on-one date on the couch watching Jon Stewart re-runs after everyone is finally in bed. I feel nauseous and burp-ish, fall into a comatose sleep for the night until I wake up the next morning to a scale weighing 1 pound lighter.
y.a.y.

wow. HEALTHY, RIGHT?

A good weigh to lose some weight? Apparently. 
But 
am 
MISERABLE.
when this happens, i tell you.
MIS.ER.A.BLE.

Moody and unfocused and lethargic and down on energy. Back in my more single college days I would have thought I hit the jackpot of creative ways to destroy yourself in the cause of skinny - hey ladies you gotta check out this diet it's called the starve all day eat four pounds of cookie dough before bed suicide diet!

- but now?

 THIS IS NO WAY FOR A MAMA TO LIVE.

I need energy. I need patience. I need zest for life.

I need LUNCH.

And when I've wrapped up feeding all the kiddos and think seriously, why bother with another mess making myself a grown up meal? I repeat over and over: YOU DESERVE TO EAT
Go ahead, make yourself a sandwich you bad, baaaad girl.

;)


So here are my frequent two lunches staples that keep me going through the day....

...............................................................................

1. The Make Ahead
 Veggie Roast with Quinoa




You need:

chopped veggies
olive oil
salt

cooked quinoa


Directions:

 I like broccoli, sweet potatoes, red onions, bell peppers, cauliflower, zucchini...everything basically. Chop, toss with olive oil and kosher salt and roast at 400 until crisp tender.

Cook quinoa according to directions.Mix and serve. 

(I roast a huge pan of veggies on Sunday and cook up a bunch of quinoa for the week. Saves a ton of time and keeps ya healthy midweek!}

....................................................................................

2. The infamous Green Smoothie.



Well, it's amazedaze.
Packed with good things for your body. 
I always throw some in my smoothie for added punch. It may all be one placebo effect, but I feel a HUGE HUGE energy/mind/body difference when I'm regularly guzzling down my green smoothies. 


I usually use

 About two cups spinach (or kale)
1 cup Frozen fruit of choice ( berries, peaches, melon, or pears are my fave)
1/2 banana (for sweetness)
1/8 cup chia seeds
1 1/2 cups almond milk or water


Blend and guzzle. The colder the better.



...............................................................................


Because I deserve a healthy me.

And YOU deserve a healthy YOU.





{and don't worry, baked goods will return next week )












2 comments:

The Mrs. said...

I LOVE YOUR RECIPES! I also loved visiting with you today.

xoxo

Joan said...

I do not have that problem. I ALWAYS eat...even if Benson is chasing James with a butcher knife...not really...but almost!