Tuesday, October 2, 2012

masters of destruction.


My first piano was an old, rickety, off-white hand-me-down sort of instrument. Its sound was pretty hollow and twangy, its "ivory" keys sported the stained vintage yellow tint of  European teeth, but still.... I guess you could say that (much like European teeth) there was a certain charm to it. 

My Mom, the ever classic "use it up, wear it out, make-do or do without" mother, spent a large chunk of time re-keying this piano. I remember the fresh solid white enamel of each new plastic key as she would take them out, one-by-one, from their tidy package. She laboriously worked to file and glue each key individually to fit the piano. Because, you know, with eight kids and a self-employed business to run with my Dad, she really didn't have anything better to do with her time. 

It took a while, but her painstaking work and attention to detail paid off: the finished product was a sparkly new keyboard and a much more aesthetically inspired 9 year-old pianist . I plunked out Row Row Row Your Boat with a new fervor that day....

Until....


Not more than a week later.....


My two year-old brother

.
.
.
.
.
Ian
.
.
.
.
.
.
took a sharpie marker 
.
.
.
.
.
.
and went batshiz CRAZY on that keyboard.


colored everywhere. EVERYWHERE.







The End.

(and yes, batshiz is another one of my made-up words)
.................................................................................................

So, now and then


I get a piano student, who during lessons turns the page of the book to their assigned song and then glances at me sheepishly.

The song is covered in pen marks. Swirls and scribbles.



"Sorry Mrs. Haack, my little sister colored  in my book."





And I just respond, "Oh my dear student."



This is one piano teacher who you will never have to explain that to.














1 comment:

Joan said...

Pink converse and a tool, pink puffy skirt?! She is SO darling.
And I can relate on every level with the "masters of destruction" issue.
It is my life and will be my life for many years to come :)