Monday, February 25, 2013

Meal Planning Mondays: Hooray for Asians! Or, as I like to say "Hoorasians!"



Today's links are all things Asian!!!!

Because, gosh, I've gotta hand it to that hemisphere: talk about some DANG good culinary contributions. Anytime Tyler and I dig into a bowl of Pho noodles, or moan over the deliciousness of a Thai curry, or split a sushi roll, or dream of Korean BBQ, I can't help but proclaim on high: 
God Bless Asians!!!!!
{no really, i do. out loud. at the sushi bar. waving my chopsticks high and proud}

We tried Burmese food while in San Francisco. Holy YUM. I had Nan Gyi Dok, which is an amazing Chicken Coconut Curry rumored to be the ultimate in Burmese Comfort Food. I found a recipe that looks similar and am so excited to give it a try (links found below).

Oh yeah, and before I go I can't forget to mention my FAVORITE ASIAN RECIPE EVER:
Sawyer!
They call him their little Soysauce
Get it? Oh my, LOVE him.

Happy Meal Planning!

Rae


........................................................................................................

Today's feature is a yummy noodle bowl. You can always shop your local Asian food market for any ingredients that are hard to come by, but I've noticed that most major retailers carry most of the common ingredients you'll need in the Asian food section. 



Rice Noodle Bowls with Crispy Tofu
{plug: vegan night!}

1 red pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 head napa cabbage, shredded
1 cucumber, halved, thinly sliced
handful of snow peas, chopped
handful of bean sprouts
rice noodles (as much or as little as you like)
handful each of chopped cilantro and mint
handful or roasted, salted peanuts, chopped
1 block of firm tofu, pressed to remove the water and sliced in triangles
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil

Sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp fish sauce 
1/4 cup warm water
2 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp minced ginger
2 tsp sirracha
2 tbsp maple syrup
chopped green onions (optional)

For sauce, combine all ingredients together and mix well. Set aside until ready to assemble bowls.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Once boiling, add the rice noodles and turn off the heat. Let noodles sit in hot water for about five minutes, then drain and set aside. Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok over high heat. Combine the cornstarch and salt in a bowl. Dip each tofu triangle in the cornstarch then place in the hot skillet. Fry triangles for about four minutes per side, or until golden brown. Once done, remove carefully and place on paper towels to drain.
To assemble noodle bowls, place a mixture of rice noodles and cabbage in the bottom of each bowl. Top with bell pepper slices, cucumber, snow peas, three tofu triangles, bean sprouts, mint, cilantro and chopped peanuts.

................................................................................

Linkage:


(I know I know, not really grill season. But worth keeping in mind? With Korean bbq it's all about the way they cut the beef. yummy!)

(I love this dessert...very kid friendly too! Great way to get them to love mangos)




1 comment:

Joan said...

Hoorasian?!??!! Ha ha ha ha!!! I love you, Rae.
And yes, I am all over a coconut oreo date with you.