Tuesday, February 5, 2013

"Way out in the land of the setting sun...


where the wind blows wild and free..."


- Home Means Nevada (State Song)



We headed to the State Capitol to begin our week.


Monday marked the beginning of the 77th legislative session for the State of NV since we were granted statehood under President Lincoln. (woot woot!)


It was an honor to be there to witness Assemblyman Hansen (Pop!) begin his second official term...





and listen to that great oath 
to protect and defend the Constitutions of our nation and our great State...


it always gives me pause to think of just how important this work is.
i'm nervous even.

We, as the people, will determine the success or failure of this amazing place. 
wow. I once again find myself recommitted to learning more, reading more, discussing more, thinking more, and above all warding off that awful, contagious illness of apathy that I fear is too easy to adopt.



Posted in his office is a longtime favorite quote. I actually don't think I had ever seen it in print. I only ever heard it recited by memory from my Dad whenever he noticed one of his children facing a challenge. Remember! he would say:

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

We would  listen in silence, trying to grasp the message but mostly thinking seriously this is a really long quote to memorize Dad oh my gosh like what you are saying right now? 

But, lucky for me I heard it on enough occasions for it to become embedded in my childhood script, part of my subconscious knowing.  

Remember Rachel, it's not the critic who counts...


I call on it still, even in dealing with small hurdles. It helps me summon the strength to go with my gut. It helps me quiet the fear of others' opinions. It helps me focus on the real questions.

Questions like what is good? Where do the greatest blessings come from, and how can we achieve them? What is worthy of my time? What is worthy of my energy? And above all, am I willing to step into the arena or not? Will i be afraid and stand on the sidelines of life, too wary of failure to even try?


Will I dare greatly?

I hope so.





{Thanks, Dad.}






















2 comments:

Jentch said...

K you know I live in Carson right....we have to see eachother before you move. I really am not a stalker...well maybe! My father in law has been in legislature for last 20 something years. Sessions always crazy time of year. I hope you don't have to go long without hubby! We have been going on three years with only Dad on weekend: it SUCKS.

rae said...

i just sent you an email! let's hang! thanks for being patient with me;)