Monday, March 25, 2013

Meal Planning Mondays: Humble Pie.


Last week I made a Costco trip.
Sometimes, dependent on my mood and the varying states of my children's behaviour, it can get a little ugly. Normally, we can peruse the aisles and I manage a gracious smile to all the commentators along the way who always seem to take notice of the four girls sprouting from the cart. But on this day I was feeling particularly snippy and sassy. In no mood for the looks and stares and OH MY GOSH ARE THOSE YOUR FOUR KIDS? IS THAT BABY A GIRL TOO? FOUR GIRLS? OH MY GOSH HAROLD LOOK SHE HAS FOUR GIRLS. OH MY YOU MUST BE TIRED BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH. 

I felt the stare of one elderly gentlemen, who I assumed to casting his big ol' mean judgespell on my crew as we passed by. I know I know I know, I thought. Keep staring. Yes, four girls. Yes, toddler is shouting. Yes, five year-old is pouting. Yes, all are eating churros. Yes, we are a complete disaster. Take a picture why you're at it, ya jerk.

We rounded the corner and passed him once more, only this time he spoke up:

"Hello, can I just say thank you?

You see, I had seven of my own. Five girls and two boys.
 Watching you just brought back some of my best memories."


SHUT. ME. DOWN.

Dear Humble Pie, 

meet Rae.

Just when you think the world out there is full of mean nasties and utter stupidity, it is always humbling and beautiful to be reminded that maybe I was mistaken and simply having a rather snippy day. Maybe I just had my mean nasty utterly stupid goggles on.

So thank you, nice random Costco man.

...................................................................................................................


Week's recipe: Power Breakfast on the Go




1 cup acai juice (found at Costco!)
half banana
1/2 cup frozen berries
1 cup greens (kale or spinach)* optional
1/8 cup chia seeds**


Blend and serve. 
Add additional ice to suit your preference. I like mine extra cold.
*More greens the better! But your smoothie might look a little brown and nasty. But didn't the above story teach you anything? Just because it might look a little nasty certainly doesn't' mean that it is.;)
** Chia seeds are great at balancing blood sugar and maintaining energy levels. They are completely tasteless so no worries there. I buy mine in the bulk section at Winco, but you can order online or find at other health stores.



........................................................................................

Week's links:

Good as a complete meal too.