Monday, June 24, 2013

Meal Planning Mondays: easy summer.


We are currently battling nasty chest colds in our neck of the woods. Seriously, what is up with colds in the SUMMER? I mean, COME ON.

Emerson has a sad, barking cough and lets out a pitiful whimper each time her chest must release another tight, prickly heave or sneeze. My poor baby. Have I mentioned I do not handle my children's sicknesses well? Not from the outside, mind you. From the outside appearance I am chivalrous and soothing and calm. Pretty much the opposite of my regular demeanor. But on the inside I am a disturbed and paranoid and overly dramatic mess. At this very moment I am consciously choosing to post these recipes in order to override the usually irresistible impulse to google and educate myself on any and all forms of mutated, incurable viruses, followed by locking myself in a bedroom to compose poetry centered primarily around themes of despair and abandonment.

Will I ever be normal?

..................................................................................................................................................................

Moving on....

Here are two summer recipes that were easy and delicious!

1. No cook night! 15 minute meal!

Caprese Chicken Salad Sammies

2 cans chicken (I use Costco Kirkland brand, or if you want to be a real snootface about it you can shred your own cooked chicken breasts, or a rotisserie chicken. In fact, that will probably taste a million times better. pff, show off.)
1/2-3/4 cup mayo or greek yogurt (I used greek yogurt)
1/2 cup pesto sauce (I used Costco Kirkland brand)
salt and pepper to taste
fresh tomatoes, sliced
Fresh mozzerella, sliced
1 large baguette, sliced in half

Mix together shredded canned chicken, mayo(yogurt), and pesto sauce. Season with salt and pepper. You can omit or add any of these ingredients to suit your taste. I tend to like very little mayo/yogurt and more pesto sauce.
Top sliced baguette with tomatoes and mozzarella. Spoon chicken mixture over the top. Slice and serve!

..................................................................................................................................................................


Kitchen views:






...................................................................................................................................................................


2. These tacos were AWESOME. Don't skip the slaw.

It was all about the slaw.


Korean Style Beef Tacos

    Meat:
    1.75 pounds beef roast (I used a trimmed chuck roast)
    3 tablespoons honey
    1/3 cup soy sauce 
    2 cloves garlic minced
    1/2 onion, diced
    1 tsp ground ginger
    2 tablespoons seasoned rice wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon sesame oil
    1 whole jalapeno, seeds removed and diced (optional: i didn't use)
    8 6-inch flour (or corn) tortillas

Meat: 
Use a 6-quart slow cooker. I didn't brown my meat, but I did trim off the visible fat.Throw everything in however you'd like.

Cover, and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat has fully shredded--- you can help it out by cutting the meat into pieces an hour or so before serving time. Serve in soft corn or flour tortillas. 

Slaw:
2 tsp. rice vinegar
1 tsp. sugar
2 pinches salt
1/2 of a large onion - very thinly sliced
2 large carrots, peeled then "sliced" into long thin strips with your peeler
1 pinch red pepper flakes
1 handful cilantro, chopped
1 tsp. or drizzle sesame oil
1 sqeeze lime juice (about 1 tsp.)
1 tsp. fresh ginger, FINELY minced
1/4 c. toasted sesame seeds


For the Slaw:
(To toast the sesame seeds, heat a small pan over medium heat. Add the sesame seeds and stir for about 4 mins. until golden brown and aromatic. Remove immediately and set aside.)
In a small bowl, mix together the vinegar, sugar, and salt. Add the sliced onions to the mixture and let sit for about 15 mins. to pickle & sweeten the onions.
Pour onions & mixture into a medium bowl. Add carrot pieces. Gently stir in your red pepper flakes, cilantro, sesame oil, lime juice, and ginger.
Reserve toasted sesame seeds until JUST before serving so they retain their crunch. Can be made a few hours ahead of time and kept in the fridge, sans sesame seeds.





Happy meal planning!


2 comments:

Joan said...

I feel HORRIBLE. I am certain your girls got their cough from my boys!!!
It has been a terrible lingering beast and I was certain they were not contagious considering they've had for forever (as in months). I feel awful telling you that too b/c now you are thinking, "GREAT! My girls will have it for months too!?"
Oh, Rae. I'm so sorry. I hate, Hate, HATE when my babies are sick.
I'm so sorry yours are and it's likely due to me?! :(

Rachel Haack said...

no no no...not you! besides, i don't support "tracing" illnesses to find the culprit, we are all dirty vermon exchanging germs always so oh well! ;)