Monday, July 29, 2013

Meal Planning Mondays: Good Morning.


For as long as I can remember, I have NOT been a morning person. My mother confirms this when she tells the story of how I, as a small toddler, would come shuffling out of my room in the early morning and bark alternately one of two demands: "Pancakes." or "Life."{the cereal}

Simple enough. Give me food and don't talk to me could sufficiently sum up my sentiment toward the entire waking up process each day. Imagine my surprise when I married a total morning person. It's like he wakes actually thinking absurd things like life is worth living and it will be a good day and other such 5am oxymoronic nonsense. 

Our paths would cross in the bathroom, where we would find ourselves vying for sink space as we prepared for the day. He, naked and dancing and pulling all sorts of outlandishly husband-like shenanigans, and I, angry with humanity and existence, attempting to steadily apply mascara. He even says sweet, detestably kind things like I love you babe and Good Morning. I didn't even know how to respond to this. It was like he was speaking a different language. Cheerful morning language. Consequently, I had no choice but to remind him repeatedly, through angry stares and stink eye, that I prefer the only language I am fluent in before the hours of 8am: silence. He, sensing the serious nature of such a stern request, would splash me with sink water or give me a wedgie.



So naturally, given this anti-morning trait, it made total sense that I would have four children. I'm going to issue an unsolicited favor and graciously remind any pre-parents of what nobody bothered to remind me: children wake early. Children wake with energy. Children wake with noise.

A good night's sleep actually makes me forget I even have children, so imagine my shock and horror when every morning I am startled awake by all of these bouncing people, jumping up and down on my cozy sanctuary, squealing and speaking all sorts of indistinguishable morning language.

Good Morning Mommy!

Mommmmmy!

I wuv you! I hungry Mommy!


It's like a swirling vortex, full of blinding light and outlines of cherubic, cheerful faces. I reach out like Hellen Keller through the blur of it all and begin patting their faces, counting the features.

What is going on?!!!

Why are there are SO. MANY. of. you.?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



So yeah, I'm trying to get a handle on this. It's beginning to make me feel slightly inadequate that Lily must bear the mantle of breaking it to me each morning: you are a mother with four children. Maybe it's time you start acting like one?



I have begun setting my alarm for one hour earlier than my children's usual waking hour. This way, I can get ready for the day and do all the cursing and spewing of hatred my heart desires in the privacy of my bathroom. By the time my children wake up, I am a semi-civilized human being ready for loves and kisses and (hopefully) patience. We work much better through the morning this way. In fact, as much as I hate to admit it: the success or failure of any given day is directly linked to whether or not I woke up before them and got all the bad energy flushed out of my system.

It is especially vital because we've discovered it is London who takes after her mother. Both of us waking at the same time can be a clash of the titans, a real nightmare. But, if I've done the proper prep work, I can respond to her angry stares and whines with empathy.

And pancakes.


.....................................................................................

This is a great recipe for hearty, nutritious pancakes. Made with oat flour (I just put whole oats in the vitamix and blend until it is flour, but you can purchase oat flour at the store as well). I avoid the nutrient starved white flour that makes me feel like my kids aren't eating anything healthy.


Ingredients
  • 1¾ cup freshly ground oat flour
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1½ tablespoons canola oil
  • 2 large eggs
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla (optional)
Instructions
  1. Pre-heat griddle or pan.
  2. Blend all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
  3. Lightly spray your hot griddle with cooking spray.
  4. Use a ¼ measuring cup to scoop the pancake batter onto the griddle.
  5. Cook until set.

.............................................................................

Other meal links for the week:
(all tested and approved!)

{a GREAT meal to try a vegan's potential with tofu. Seriously yum. The linked recipe has a picture that is a little wonky. I promise the flavors are delicious if you like spicy, thai flavors.}




{had these last night. SO GOOD}


...............................................................................

Good Morning!

Happy Meal Planning!









No comments: