Monday, October 28, 2013

Meal Planning Mondays: sacred text.

{The other Bible}

A few months ago I read about this superlady who grocery shops only once a month and manages to keep her grocery bill under like $150 total and doesn't coupon clip at all and feeds her kids all organic food and WHAT.EVER.

Then I realized this biotch was really just a big gobblybog amalgamation of all of my insecurities manifesting in a fictional character derived from too many afternoons browsing pinterest. This was a helpful realization.

But, there really is a mom out there who meal plans and grocery shops once a month (is it you?!). And, she manages to save a lot of time and stress and money. I think? I don't know, I haven't done it myself.

HOWEVER! I decided to modify her plan and give it a try in our house. For the past few months, I grocery shop once every two weeks.

Folks, HUGE DIFFERENCE. We do save money! I am less stressed! It is WORKING for us!!!!

The theory behind it is that the less trips you take to the store, the less frivolous purchases you make. We all know what it's like to run to the store to grab the two ingredients we need for a meal, only to leave with at least seven items or more. Or at least I do.

Saving money is great, but do you know what I love BEST about the two week plan? I don't have to THINK about what I'm making for dinner constantly. There isn't that constant nagging 2 pm dread and mental rundown, "what on earth should I make? What do I have in the pantry? What do I need to the load the kids up in the car and run to the store for? Let's just have McDonalds and make this easier. Again. Because I'd rather poke my eyeballs out with a fork than enter Walmart today. We will have burgers again for the 19th time this month. I am a horrible mother and I can't do anything about it."

I sit, once every two weeks, and I PLAN. I plan plan plan plan plan.
I grab a yummy beverage and pour over my food magazines, my pinterest boards, and my cookbooks. I record 14 dinners that sound delish in The other Bible. This is my sacred book, filled with lots of sacred texts: school lunch strategies, weekend breakfast ideas, a few desserts I might feel like trying, shopping lists, notes, goals, even a few brief journal entries. I compile my big grocery list in The other Bible. I carry it with me everywhere and have panic attacks if I arrive at the store without it by my side. I leave the kids with the husband. And I spend 3 hours getting it all knocked out.

Then, for the next two weeks, I'm covered! Badabing bada boom! (With the exception of possibly sending Tyler to the store once during the two weeks to replenish fresh fruit or veggies, but most stuff lasts about that long in the refrigerator, or the last few days of the two week stint I use frozen fruits and veggies, etc).

It's all about the meal plan. It's ALWAYS been all about the meal plan. So, enjoy feeding your family! Here are a few ideas of things we've tried and approve (click on titles for links):

{This was so good, I used shredded rotisserie chicken and had it ready in under 15 minutes. Hallelujah!}


{Yum. Easy. Perfect for fall meals. Also, paleo diet friendly if you're into that sort of thing? I've made this a few times and it's always a hit.}

{Kaay. Husband was not too thrilled with the title of this meal when it was announced what was for dinner. But one quick glance of "BOY, you betta check yoself before you WRECK yoself" let him know he was expected to give it a try anyways. And you know what? He LIKED IT. Use good tomatoes. And lots of fresh oregano. And I suppose, you could throw in some chicken sausage for the carnivorous hubby if you have to.}

{Yum}





7 comments:

Emily said...

How did your girls like the soup? Was it too spicy? My kids are wimps when it comes to spicy. Also, in the sausage butternut squash frittata, what kind of fat did you use?

Whitney M. @ The Married Me said...

That's one of the changes we made awhile back in our house too. We don't meal plan (I can't take that kind of finite meal list) but we made a 2 week minimum for going to the store. Even better if we could squeeze by til 3 weeks. We saved a lot of money by weeding out those impulse purchases plus it forced us to really shop our pantry.

Rachel Haack said...

Hey emily! They liked the soup, but I omitted the pepper entirely. I just served some siriachi red chili sauce in the side for Tyler and I to add because we love the heat.
Also, for the frittata I didn't use any fat. I think that is some paleo thing to do. I just sprayed my pan with cooking spray and cooked our favorite sausage.
Hope that helps!:)

Rachel Haack said...

I totally getcha...i feel like such a winner when I can get my two week supply to last three weeks, it's like a game to me to beat my "record" ;)
Thanks for stopping in Whitney!

Ashley said...

You amaze me! I can't wait to try the Sausage and Butternut Squash Frittata :)

The Mrs. said...

Yea! Meals! Now I can feed my family because you finally posted some meal ideas!! :)

Jamee
xoxo

Rachel Haack said...

Try it, it's so yummy. But don't worry about adding the bacon fat, u could just use cooking spray:)