Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The last bits of October.


I have no business posting today, so I'm going to make it quick. I have a few final papers due soon, and let me tell you what a BAD IDEA it was to re-enroll in school to {finally!!} finish my degree. First of all, I crave school and learning in the same way I crave Krispy Kreme glazed, not hot (i know, weird but true) donuts. Every now and then, I'll eat 7 in one sitting, get deliriously nauseous, sleep it off and have no desire to return for around five months. But dang it if the stupid gosh darn university system refuses to let me operate in this manner. It's like I'm being force fed donuts every single day. Talk about taking all the fun out of binge behavior. Sheez.

My sister and I had a conversation the other day in which we devised the worlds most ingenious Momsterversity system. It involved the combination of dropping your children off on the same campus to attend their school while you go with other mom friends to attend lectures in your school on that same campus, and if you have babies you drop them off in the baby center where there are one of those see-through windows only on your side so you can watch your cute babies play adjacent to your classroom. And, AND, there are comfy chairs and headsets in a quiet-room if you need to feed/nurse your babies so you can sit and still listen to the professor speak. Then, around noon-ish, all the kids and babies and moms gather in the quad to eat lunch and play tether ball. Wait, did I just describe a MomsterUniversity or heaven?

Or, fine... I suppose you could just finish college before having children. But where's the adventure in that?!

Gosh, it's such a damn paradox. Because I promise you this, MOMS are better students than students. 
I'm a better student now than I was in my younger days for sure. I appreciate the learning process so much more. In fact, I just think our brains aren't ready to consider the enormous privilege of education till we're past 25 anyways. Before that, the female species is just too obsessed with thigh size and calorie counting and bootwear and sororities and selling their birthright for a mess of pathetic boyfriend pottage. I realize I'm blowing your mind with all of these highly scientific elaborations, but really. You might want to Google check my assumptions or whatever, but I'm almost CERTAIN they are correct. I think we may be combining the optimal timing of cognitive development, emotional maturity, peak fertility, and education in a wonky manner, is alls I'm sayin'.

So I guess, compared to motherhood, textbooks and research papers and final exams become a total bbbbbreeeze. However, I cannot lie, the combination of the two is sort of a nightmare. No, I take that back. It IS A NIGHTMARE.

Oh well, such is the course I've decided to charter. On good days I believe I can do anything. On not so good days I console myself with my Grandma's hopeful reminder that No life is ever wasted, you can always serve as a bad example.

Back to the grind...



5 comments:

Autumn Duke said...

I think what you are doing is admirable. You are such a great example to your children and to moms everywhere that it is never too late to chase your dreams. Keep it up.

Also, your grandmother sounds hilarious. Love it.

Autumn

Rachel Haack said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel Haack said...

Thanks autumn! My grandma is quite a lady for sure, and in a serendipitous twist today is actually her bday!:)

Lacy said...

Ahhhh I freaking love this post. And gosh I hope your major has something to do with journalism, or english and that you are planning on writing a book, becasue you are so dang witty, insighful, honest, and flat out hilarious. I read TONS of blogs, and all types, and yours is by far the best and just so honest. And I can totally envision you on a book tour, promoting your book, everyone would love you…

I can TOTALLY relate to your thoughts on education, and what a privelage it is, and your whole crispy cream analogy is PERFECT. I loved loved loved my major, and what I learned, I actually owned half of the text books already before I even started my major. But uhhh juggleing it with the 40+ hour a week job, plus the fact that I always took 6 classes, and the 15 hours a week that I volunteered tutoring Somali refugees, and the fundraisers that I put on for different non profits, and the internships, uhhhh I didn't sleep, I napped for 5 years…And that is NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING compared to raising 4 children and having a husband and keeping a home like you do. I really admire you, and you are a great role model to mothers and just women in general…

But I CAN COMPLETELY AGREE that it is such a privilage, and those 18 year olds that have to just show up to class, have their parents pay their bills, and their biggest decision is what sorority to join and what major to chose have no freaking clue, and they should feel so blessed..I really want to go back to school, but man oh man, its sooo hard, do I really want to?? Especially at this time in my life. Well Rach GOOD FOR YOU!!! For doing it, and for appreciating it like you do. So many people don't understand what a luxury it is. And again I love your cripy cream analogy, I crave it the same way, but I KNOW…its so dang hard. Good luck with finals…

What are you majoring in?? I just love your blog, and your girls are darling as usual, and I always love your mammas comments..xoxo

Rachel Haack said...

Lacy!!!! Oh how I love your comments, it's like I can literally hear your voice talking and I miss you!:(
I'm going to shoot you an email. Hopefully you're still on this side of the hemisphere before going again to asia or south america or antartica or wherever to save dolphins and children (it is crazy to me that you used to talk about wanting to do that kind of stuff and now look at you?!! amazing!) and we can arrange to meet up? Would love to see you.

Also, psychology is the major. I need free therapy;)
I did the English major route briefly and pretty much despised all modern/post modern lit. Well into a 20 page paper on some book I didn't even like or find remotely enlightening or worthy of my time away from my kids I was like, "what am I doing?!!!!! Spending days pontificating about FiCTION?!!! It's not even real!!! I'm BSing through all this BS!!!!" Needless to say, I gave up. But thank you so much for your support and kind words about my writing. It is a good outlet and I love that you share your thoughts!

Love you dear friend!! Email to follow...