Monday, February 10, 2014

Meal Planning Mondays: Night at The Rio.

Have you ever heard of Cafe Rio?

Chances are, if you're a MoMo (mormon) from Utah, you have. Although I have no idea why that identity marker in any way should correlate with that question. And yet, it really does. Cafe Rio is legendary, and has an almost cult like following of MoMos. Even down here in California, the place is positively crawling with them. I think it has to do with the affordability combined with the INSANELY DELICIOUS FOOD. Additionally, when a Mormon has no wine or alcohol, what does that leave us true connoisseurs in? What are we to do?!!?!!!! What domain is our expertise?!!!!

I'll tell you what we are experts in.
 #1 Ice Cream.
 #2 Bread.
#3 Mexican Food.

So if you're looking for the best in any of those three categories in your area, I'll tell you what you need to do. You need to find a MoMo and ask is what you need to do. But what is this? How can you find one? I'll suggest a few locations.

#1. Target. Look for a lady with too many kids attached in various forms to a single cart. But there may be a few of those, and obviously not all of them are MoMo's, so to narrow the search for precision you need to look for any type of chevron patterned rug or cardigan in the cart. Bam.

#2. Mini vans. 6 out of 10.

#3. Big Bouffant hair. Ratted approximately three inches high at the back of the scalp. Usually, but not always, platinum-y blond. This one only applies in the state of Utah though.
{{Post edit: I found this after I posted...hilarious. From The Cultural Hall.}}

No...I'm sorry, Utah. I really do love you. Really.

#4. Missionaries. Nicest peeps around town. And they love to chat.

#5. Cafe Rio. Like I said, there are dozens of them there attempting to feed a family of 7 for under $25, especially on a Friday night. Friday night is party night in MoMoTown. But since you've already arrived at the mecca of fresh Mexican, congratulate yourself for a job almost complete. Order ANYTHING and EVERYTHING with the pulled pork. It's all about the pulled pork. Now, you'll only be needing suggestions for dessert.

................................................................................................................................


Haack Fam Friday night at The Rio.




 {pork burrito....come to Mamaaaaaa.}



{afterwards, we usually let our hooligans terrorize the plaza fountain area}








 {{emerson tries to make a break for it. every time. either bolts to the parking lot or to swim in the fountain}}



 {{we sat outside in the comfortable night air and listened to the live band around the corner playing. so fun}}



........................................................................................................

And! in honor of our favorite Burrito, if you don't have a Cafe Rio anywhere nearby, here is a decent knock-off to try for the family.
{click on titles for recipe links}

Other recipes we've tried, tested and approved recently:

First time cooking a meal with shrimp for me! I'm trying to increase our seafood consumption.

Vegetarian night! 

Bison Sheperd's Pie
The perfect winter meal. Bison is supposedly a healthier substitute for ground beef. You can use either interchangeably in this recipe. I used bison and it was really good.


Happy Meal Planning!


7 comments:

Joan said...

That last pic of you and your four little ladies makes me so happy.

Kate (in Claremont) :) said...

The MoMos have it figured out. I am OBSESSED w/ Cafe Rio. The closest one to us is like 45 minutes away but that pork salad...I'm drooling at my desk right now. And the tomatillo dressing. Sigh.

Emily said...

Whenever someone posts about poofy, ratted hair and Utah, I have to correct them. That hair applies to Utah COUNTY (provo, orem, lehi, springville, spanish fork american fork saratoga springs etc.), not to be confused with Utah state. Or maybe I am just trying to protect myself.

Rachel Haack said...

Awww, thank u Joanie dear. Now just picture how happy u will be when we marry all eight of our kids to each other straight outta seven brides for seven brothers style. Sigh, a mom can dream;)

Rachel Haack said...

Kate!!! First time comment yay!!!!
I think I have an idea of a meeting place when Shinae comes in April!!!?!!

Rachel Haack said...

Haha!!!! I stand corrected!! Wouldn't it be fun to conduct a study on the origins of this phenomena? Like seriously, who started this and WHY WHY WHYYyYYY?!!!!!

Katy Nicole. said...

Looks like a perfect Friday night to me. Love how you always come through with ice cream on Haack family outings ;)

Emerson and her sandals kill me!