Friday, April 25, 2014

oh hey, thirty.

{{thirty year-old me}}

this month i turned thirty! i think that's about it for now. personal essay to follow later, maybe. i don't know why i'm feeling such a writer's-block lately?!

moving on.

a few months ago, i was graciously nominated for a Liebster Award (thanks Whitney! from The Married Me!).

Honestly, I have no idea what that is, but I'm honored! I decided a while back that I am not pursuing the route of professional blogger in any capacity (sorry about previous announcements that said I would be linking up to facebook: i have since changed my mind, AGAIN. no facebook for raescorner!). I would rather trade readership quantity for quality, if that makes sense. I've so enjoyed my interactions and very real connections with people I've met through blogging. As such, I will not be participating in any future Liebster Award activities/rules, but I still want to answer the questions that Whitney asked...

...........................................................................................


1. Whom is your favorite author and what is their best book?
Shoot, hard question. I don't have "a" favorite so I'm going to develop my own category system here. I'm going to nominate author(s):
Dave Eggars for voice. Title: A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. His books make me laugh and I relate in some bizarre way to the way he speaks. I like that he is a post-modern author who didn't make me want to poke my eyeballs out or die of depression with his writing. It is my personal opinion that most contemporary authors of the past few decades are trying wwwwway too hard to be edgy, smart ass, and different. As such, for me personally, most post modern literature is gag/eye-roll worthy. Post-modern literature is like the biggest fat naked emperor strolling through the town while all the townspeople/professors rave about his fine linens. Where is this rant coming from!?! Sorry.
Point being, Dave is an exception to this.
CS Lewis for thought. Title(s): Any of his non-fiction titles. (I haven't read his fiction!?!). I adore this man's brain and can swim in his thoughts for days. I even hear his accent in his writing. Now THAT'S some talent! 
Laura Ingalls Wilder for experience. The Entire Little House Collection. My fondness towards  this series knows no bounds or age limit! It's like a national treasure. I just read a chapter to my girls the other night. She focuses on simple beauty and sets the scenes in her books in such a way that is perfectly detailed and yet not overly wordy.
2. Are you working in your dream job? If Yes what do you do? If No what is your dream job?
Yes and No. Currently, my dream job is that of home-maker and mother. Both of which I'm doing. In the future, once my children fly the coop, my next dream is to work as a licensed therapist and hopefully open my own private practice as a Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT). However, it all hinges on me not destroying both my family and my marriage in trying to balance our life and school in the pursuit of this goal, so we will see how it all pans out in the future. Wish me luck!
3. How do you balance your blog and your real life?
I try to integrate them. Again, I'm not a professional blogger. It just wasn't a route I felt entirely comfortable or qualified to pursue. I spend a few minimal hours a week mainly trying to catch up on posting memories and photos. Occasionally, I get lucky and get to unravel my mind and post something more substantial. The biggest day-to-day difference is that now I am more conscious about carrying a camera with me so I can capture the moments that I want to have on record.
4. What are you looking most forward to this year?
My ten year anniversary get-away with Tyler. Viva La Mexico!!
5. Which place is next on your travel wish list?
England England England England England!
6. What product can you not live without?
 Mary Kay skincare products. I really love that stuff.
7. What is your favorite type of post to read on other blogs?
Depends on my mood. Honestly, I don't read many blogs. I like eye-candy and creative posts that inspire me to look at beauty in new ways. I like anything and everything REAL. It doesn't have to be a full on expose of private issues, but I do appreciate genuine and thoughtful people who are willing to be a little bit vulnerable. I even love it when someone just rambles about odd things. 
8. Which song makes your bad day instantly better?
George Strait Give it all we got Tonight. Gosh, there's just something about it that is so romantic. Good country songs like that just stick to your ribs like mashed potatas! It makes me want to instantly wrap up in Tyler's big, gritty man arms and feel all lovey. Good ol' George, ya sure is sexy!
9. What is your favorite way to spend a summer day?
Beach Beach Beach Beach Beach Beach. 
10. What is your signature recipe or dish? Link?
I honestly don't know if I have a signature. Tyler ALWAYS talks about this pesto pasta I made ONE time with a PACKAGE mix. It's kind of baffling given how much I actually make things from scratch?!! This one always gets big raves:
11. Do you prefer movies or television shows?
Television shows. Less time commitment. I've got about 40 minutes before I'm comatose and sleeping.

Thanks again Whitney!




3 comments:

Alexis said...

Signature Dish!!!!! DUH.....
Avocado Salsa silly.
Your siblings ask you to make it every holiday! (and unfortunately, I don't like avocados:(
But I remembered and watch proudly when they all slurp your signature dish up.
Beautiful picture of a beautiful girl! Really who are your "plastic surgeons"...oh yeah - Me and Dad..hahaha
And not only are you well bred but well read:) Gots some brains in that pretty noggin.
Love MOM

Joan said...

Wow. 30 looks goooooooood on you, Mama! You're a true beauty, Rae.

Whitney M. @ The Married Me said...

I enjoyed reading your answers (and following your fun group of little girls!)

Hope 30 treats you well :)