Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Proud to be an American.



Way back yonder in my college days, I had the privilege to travel to a few separate countries. I remember one particular, poverty stricken region we crossed through at one point. As we traveled through in our vehicle, I saw a woman on the side of the road with her children and was so profoundly sobered by her reality. The area was littered with garbage, her children in tattered clothes, and the stench of a stagnant world was thick and real. This is your life, my heart seemed to gasp. This is your reality. And I, another woman, who by some bizarre chance of luck/fate/whateveryouwanttocallit was merely passing through this reality. I was off to a bigger and better life. One filled with wealth, bounteous opportunity, and freedom. I was heading back home to my country, where I regularly participated in luxurious blessings that I too often took for granted. Looking at her, I ached to remain more aware, to work harder to make this world a better place in whatever small ways I can, and especially to give thanks for my homeland. Always. I knew that if given the chance, this sweet woman would have traded places with me in an instant. Gosh, I wanted to pack her and those sweet babies up in my suitcase....them, and every other person on the planet who does not get to regularly partake in the feast of freedom. We must do better.

I am free. Free to go where I please, free to make choices, free to speak, free to practice my religion, free to dissent, free to think. Free to build and grow and progress. Man, it's unbelievable if you think about it.

God Bless America.

Going to see this tonight. SO EXCITED.




HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!










No comments: