Monday, August 4, 2014

The Sweet Life Presents:


............................................................................................................

For our last official weekend of summer, we decided to do what we had promised ourselves to do over multiple weekends during the summer. Which was, explore So Cal. How is it that summer has slipped by and we have not been to the ocean but once? Insert shame face.

Pleased to present the photo documentation of our last official summery beachy awesomey vacationy weekend of 2014.


Wow. Malibu. You are every bit as cool California-feeling as I thought you'd be. Like. Totally
If I wasn't so crowd averse, traffic averse, and wealth deficient: we'd definitely scoot our way closer out west towards you for a more permanent stay. I'd live in those rolling hills any day.

 {a bit much sand caught in your swim suit, ellie dear?}


But really. I probably wouldn't hit the beach much with my children. I am still not ocean proficient. I just don't know how to sit on the beach and watch my children play without dying of cardiac arrest. I prefer stationary bodies of water. I can't get comfortable with the movement of the ocean. And it certainly doesn't help that the entire body of it is filled with dead pirates and sunken ships and sea monsters and the devil and whatnot. Way too much freak potential up in there.

Those darn waves can just knock my kids out and churn them all over the place. It can even scoop Emerson right out from under me in her floaty device. Consequently, it's nothing but a panic stricken Rae's worst nightmare at every turn. Sure, my kids are laughing and smiling and giggling through the whole event, but that's just because they don't understand that while they are busy frolicking and laughing they are also constantly almost dying. Kids mix these signals up, a lot, in my estimation. Therefore I have no choice but to properly re-interpret their distress signals {laughter! smiles!} for what their true meanings are {I'm dying! Help me!}. I remain in a state of desperate chasing, lunging, rescuing, and screaming. And all the while I keep thinking: why not allow them to play hopscotch on the edge of a cliff while I'm at it? At least then their permissible childhood play activities would be consistent. Going to the beach GOING TO THE SCMEACH. This is absurd.

Which as a side note, shrieking on the beaches of Malibu? It was a bit of a scene I suppose. A place filled with college hipster lover couples and environmentalists and dog people. Family of six scattered and splashing and running around followed by a shrieking mother? I got the sense we were a bit out of place. But meh, you know. whatareyagonnado?

{gather in, gather in ladies, mommy will protect you.}


And of course, there was Tyler.
Chill, calm, relaxed. playing with the girls. enjoying himself. while ON VACATION. 

phff, Show off.
{the nerve.}



 .....................................................................................................................


Later that evening we took the girls for their first Tepanyaki experience. We've discovered that a showy combination of knives and fire help to keep them sitting and at attention while eating. We'll be trying that more at home in the future.


The hotel digs.


..................................................................................................

Next up!



{I couldn't resist. Had to get myself a pair. Mother/daughter times a bazillion!}

 Bike riding on the beach!
We asked for the Suburban versions. 






 {fun street shows}


Even though traveling around with our family can be pretty exhausting, and often expensive, man is it good. We are together. And I love showing the world to our girls. They are the most delightful little observers. They love life and we love them and the combination of it all is pretty magical if I stop to notice it enough. These little people are worth every bit of the trouble, I tell ya.





{emmie not. interested.}

And sure, it's a total chaotic mess at times too. We find ourselves crammed in a car in traffic and Emerson is screaming while London is yelling " I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!" and Ellie Jane is ordering that her window be rolled down even though it's a million degrees outside and the air conditioner is being wasted while I am insisting that Tyler quit tailgating and Tyler is insisting that he is NOT tailgating and all four children in unison are declaring that they are are "starving" because they haven't eaten "anything EVER!" (i.e, in the past 30 minutes). Meh. You know. Whatareyagonnado? 

Besides! This is the stuff that legendary family vacations are made of. When I was a kid{teenager}, my Mom pulled over once and left our entire family in the car, on the side of the road, while we were traveling on vacation. She told us we could "sit there and rot!". Lucky for us, she came back later after a brief walk. True story.



I love my family.


I love these happy little faces.






a warm, healthy summer. 
our family together, 
and a little adventure.

What more could a girl ask for?









No comments: