Monday, September 14, 2015

Meal Planning Mondays: Bosom Friends.



“Kindred spirits are not so scarce as I used to think. It's splendid to find out there are so many of them in the world.” -Anne of Green Gables

Hello friends!

What a busy few weeks we have had. I have a new niece {!!} I'm so excited to introduce to you, but since it's Monday I thought I'd start off by sharing some meal ideas and chatting about a visit with a dear friend.



Lacy came to town! Lacy and I go all the way back to third grade. We bonded early on over our love of scrunchies, geeky gymnastic routines, and Anne of Green Gables.


Our visits together are too rare, so naturally when she came we had no choice but to stay up together talking until 4am. It had been a good 6 years and two kids since I had seen her. And yet, as Anne Shirley might say, with a bosom friend it doesn't take much to pick up right where you had left off.

Lacy and I have always been different, which is a reality I treasure.

She, with an innate inclination towards adventure and a most natural affection for animals, has spent the past decade traveling the world, training horses, riding elephants, deep sea diving off the coast of the Philippines, living among an African tribe, helping Somali refugees, lecturing school campuses on shark conservation, and farming.

And I, with an innate inclination towards pumpkin bread and a most natural affection for pioneer tales, have spent the past decade exhausting my uterus.

An afternoon spent with her is like a fun vicarious foray into a National Geographic spread. Likewise, I'd like to think my homemade, budget Chicken Parmesean and children's homework routine gave her a momentary glimpse of what's lurking behind the cover of a Taste of Home magazine. 

I think folks like us really need each other.;)




{An afternoon in Oak Glen}

















Dear old world', she murmured, 'you are very lovely, and I am glad to be alive in you.  
-Anne


Me too.

Thanks for the visit, Lacy! Love you forever:)


............................................................................

And! As you assemble your week's eating plan, consider these:

 1. An incredibly easy way to enjoy Tilapia. Especially a good one for picky, supposedly non fish eaters.
2.  Citrus Fennel Salad. Because before this recipe what the heck do you do with fennel?! What IS fennel?!  It's delicious, it is healthy, and come on, you know you're bored with your usual salad routine.
3. Turkey Kale Soup. Yum. Slow cooker. Easy.
4. No Peach Season is complete without it.  You need to make this. Another slow cooker dessert that will make any Sunday meal heavenly.





3 comments:

Emily said...

Now lets see those pictures of evie!!!!!

The Mrs. said...

"And I, with an innate inclination towards pumpkin bread and a most natural affection for pioneer tales, have spent the past decade exhausting my uterus."

you seriously crack me up, Rae.

so thankful for these little blog updates to add to my weekly (if im lucky enough for you to post) search for uplifting things in the blog world. I had to give my self a reward of checking your blog AFTER I finished homework so that I wouldn't get too distracted...

Jamee
xoxo

Lacy said...

Ahh you are precious. Visiting you and your family made my soul smile. San Diego went really well, so there is a good chance I am moving there the beginning of the year. I can envision you and the fam visiting me in my one bedroom box apartment on the beach. I adore you. Love you forever xo