Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Year End isms.

{Anytime I hear my children say something ridiculous or hilarious or downright sweet, I try my best to make a note of it on my phone. Of course, I'm only capturing around 1% of the noteworthy things they say, but every little bit counts. For the year end, I'm going to unload the ism's (dating all the way back to 2013!)}

To begin, here are a few from Lily Tyler....

{sporting her favorite solar system (!) t-shirt.}


On the struggle:

"Today with my friends I was just like "I. hate. my. life.!" Well, everything except for my family and my friends and my school. Gah! It's tether ball." 
{tetherball was included in her nightly prayers for a solid year}

.............................

On Tether-ball ethics:

"Fourth graders are hard mom. Really, rrrrreally hard to beat. First graders are easy. I can't go too hard on them. But when they become second, then third graders, I can really give it to them."

........................

On Parental Accountability:

Lily: "I have been having bad dreams lately. In it, a girls hand is gone but then her fingers suddenly pop out and it's creepy."
Mom: "I think you've watched too many scary netflix shows like Once Upon A Time."
Lily: "No. I think it's cuz I keep overhearing you watching Real Housewives."

{busted.}

...........................

On education:

Lily: "MOM!!! WHY DID YOU BUY THIS BOOK?!?! IT'S TERRIBLE! Read THIS. (pointing to the opening lines). SEE! SEE. The first part says ABANDON - the husband ABANDONED his wife and children."

Mom: "Lu, that is a Thesaurus. A kind of dictionary."

Lily: "Well, does A Thesaurus really have to be so sad?"

............................

On learning about the birds and the bees:

Lily: "Didn't Dad think it was ODD when he found out you guys would be married and have to do THAT?"

{well, funny thing about your Dad...}

.........................

On being a girl of many talents:

While on our way to church, I suddenly notice Lily's hands. 

Mom: "Lily! Why is there paint all over your hands?!"

Lily: "Because I'm an ARTIST Mom. Artists always have paint on their hands."

London broke an antique mirror that sat on her nightstand by accident. 

Lily: "It's fine. Just give it to me London, I'm an engineer. I'll fix it."

...............................

On curiosity and science (her natural strengths):

Mom, can you come help me get on the computer. I need to google something.

{Begins typing into the search bar}

HOW TO DEVELOP A SIXTH SENSE....

.........

Lily briefly looks up from reading a book she selected from the library...

"Hey Mom. Do you know what a mushroom is? Is it a fruit? A vegetable? A flower?"

Mom: "???"

"It's a FUNGUS."

She leans back into the couch in astonishment, face palming herself as she stares out of our window in contemplation. She whispers, "Somewhere deep inside my body, I always knew that must be true."


........................................

Once upon a time in Preschool:

Back when Lily was three years-old, she attended pre-school at my mothering hero/friend Susan's home. One afternoon, Susan called me out of the blue and said she had to tell me what Lily had said earlier that week in school. The class had been asked,

"If you could be any bug/insect you wanted, which would you be?"

Some replied ladybugs, for the pretty red color and black dots.
Others: colorful butterflies, twinkling fireflies, burrowing black ants...

Lily's choice?

"A Bee. Cuz then I can have a STINGER."



















1 comment:

Katy Nicole. said...

Lily Haack is going to change the world!!! She is the best!!